Archinect
anchor

IDP Signatures

Charisma124

What if the architect signing off on your experience is US registered architect, but is an 'inactive' member?

Does it still count regardless, or does IDP even check this?

Jun 15, 09 1:56 am
poop876

An architect in inactive status can not practice architecture or call himself an architect, therefore can not be signing IDPs. But if that architect was active during your IDP process then he can. I guess it all depends when you worked under him.

Jun 15, 09 11:40 am  · 
 · 
sgs23

I would e-mail ncarb, but be more specific.

Jun 15, 09 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Charisma124

Does anyone know if IDP checks this stuff?

Jun 15, 09 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

What you're asking is confusing. The supervising architect is an 'inactive member' of what, NCARB? or the AIA? If so, neither of those memberships matter -- they are professional organizations but do not have anything to do with whether or not your supervising architect holds a current license in the state in which you both work.

Your sign-off supervisor must hold a current license to practice architecture in the state in which you are both working, and must have a direct supervisory role over your work, but I am 99.999% sure that he/she does not need to be a member of NCARB. I've never heard anything about a requirement like that, and I know for a fact that none of my signing supervisors were NCARB members.

Jun 16, 09 12:07 am  · 
 · 
Charisma124

Ah, you see, the thing is that i'm working in China. So ... all these architects tell me that their affiliations, and maybe licenses, have lapsed...understandable when architects leave the country for decades.

So, if they once passed the architectural license exam a long time ago, does that count to sign my forms?

Jun 16, 09 12:32 am  · 
 · 
poop876

He is not questioning NCARB or especially AIA! Architect, period, needs to be an active licensed architect in that particular state to sign off on any IDPs. I'm an architect, but I have to pay yearly fees to keep my license active in order to practice architecture in that particular state, pay fees for any other states I want to practice architecture. Only then can I sign off on any IDP's for anybody. Question answered!

Jun 16, 09 12:36 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Charisma,
that is a different issue, and has nothing to do with being a licensed architect in the state. That has to do with international IDP's and working at an international firm. Architect in a foreign country is totally different than an architect in the U.S.. There are certain amount of hrs. an architect in ex. China can sign off for them to be transferred here, but as far as them passing the ARE's here, well, that doesn't matter. He/She has to be a licensed architect in China for them to sign off on your IDP's and then only certain amount of hrs will be transferred to the US and NCARB for them to count towards your final IDP's. I've never signed off on points in another country and I'm not familiar with that system and how many can be transferred. I would certainly contact NCARB and explain your situation unless somebody on here has the exact answer and has been through the exact same situation. Last thing you want to do is rely on somebody else s opinion/"experience" on here!

Jun 16, 09 12:41 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Ah, yes, no matter whether the license is held in China or US, it would have to be current. If 'inactive' means lapsed then this person can't be counted as a licensed supervisor. However there are so many hours that you can fulfill without requiring a licensed supervisor; it used to be that these hours all had to be in category C and you could only submit a max of 117 or so (I think?) -- Rules have just changed, however, so I advise you to look for yourself on NCARB's website or email NCARB. Just look for where it says what hours you can log under a supervisor that is NOT holding a current architectural license. There are guidelines for non-US work, also -- that has, I believe, a maximum cap of 6 months' worth of units but again, it may make a difference whether the supervisor is licensed or not.

Jun 16, 09 12:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: