Archinect
anchor

What are you designing right now?

maya mcdifference

This thread is inspired by "and the award for craziest architect goes to..."

In the words of poop876, "Not everybody is fortunate like me to design skyscrapers and stadiums. Actually with the situation now, Id rather do shopping malls and have them erected than some skyscraper in Abu Dhabi or Dubai that will never break ground!"

So, what building type are you designing or working on? Do you love it or would you rather leave it?

Jun 11, 09 2:14 pm
Chili Davis

I'm designing my resume.

Jun 11, 09 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

good luck chili...to a fellow ltu survivor

Jun 11, 09 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i was designing some tables......... now designing a teaching portfolio........i also have another portfolio case to assemble (had it cnc'd).....

Jun 11, 09 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"designing" is probably too nice a word for what I am working on.

If this were "hitched or ditched" I would take the latter.

Jun 11, 09 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
stefjam

random experiments with form & color... playing with a travel size water color set i got recently

Jun 11, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Family room expansion, full exterior recladding and some new windows, renovation of front and back outdoor spaces (phase 2 will be the kitchen renovation); another family room and carport expansion and renovation; wall treatments and reupholstering of banquette for cafe.

Dog daycare facility is in "fingers crossed" stage.

Love what I;m doing, every minute of it.

Jun 11, 09 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

flash movies for 2 competitions going out on the same day... in 2 1/2 weeks... yay..............................................

Jun 11, 09 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i got my big commission!

a dog house.

and it's got me stumped!

Jun 11, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm writing marketing copy about libraries & convention centers - yawn.

Jun 11, 09 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Parking layout

Jun 11, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

... a garden shed, using salvaged materials. Also building it (side project, basically for a stipend/pro bono... we'll see)

... documenting and designing for three heritage projects (my day job)

... creating a green guide for heritage conservation (also my day job)

... and this weekend I think I will be reupholstering two great vintage wooden folding chairs I just bought (for fun)

Now that I think about it, I'm having some fun with it all. I like what I do. Weird.

Jun 11, 09 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

an exit strategy.

Jun 11, 09 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

dustin, nothin' weird about that.

sounds like fun!

Jun 11, 09 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
med.

An embassy in a very dangerous country.

Jun 11, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
binary

any site visits med?

Jun 11, 09 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
ether

110,000 SF physics lab building - currently working on the ground floor lecture hall with adjacent entry lobby and main stair

materials/products i've researched in the past two weeks:
dichroic glass
metal acoustic panels
fabric wrapped acoustic panels
white boards
concrete pavers
acoustical plaster
too many light fixtures to name
bleached wood samples
projectors
speakers
sprinklers
shading devices (mechoshade)
fire glass

Jun 11, 09 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

a time machine so I can back to thesis. It was more fun than work.

Jun 11, 09 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

A mix

-Custom water front home, sustainable, modern, good client
-Seniors housing project in the mountains, clean simple lines good client group
-cafe, with great outdoor patios off a busy lane, good urban design issues
-warehouse for used building materials, good community project, high value sustainable design issues
-passive house for local xc skiing / biking group
-2 residential communities for high end housing, landscape and planning standards to integrate with natural mountain landscape
-renovation of a recently completed house with new owner who wants to update the finish and add a very sleek outdoor pool spa
- mid level renovation to a lakefront vacation home

Jun 11, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Rodeo Queen

A museum exhibit - about biomimetic robots.

Jun 11, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I'm designing this:

because I am a nerd.

Images are cropped, but who really cares.

Also doing random PT/temp work for that same firm where I did a two month gig. But not too much design there.

Also designing a messenger bag for myself. And various BS that will likely not go much father than a scribble.

Jun 11, 09 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
upside

a stock exchange in a moderately dangerous but really quite lovely country

Jun 11, 09 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

1000 sf guest house on a lake

6000 sf house on a stream

restaurant redesign

An audi dealership is in the wings....

Coporate offices and Board Room in an existing Bank

Lovin and Living...!

I want to do our bathroom over at home but can't find the energy to tear it apart and get it done in a timely manner so....I will wait till later in the summer before I undertake that project

Jun 11, 09 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

me: a competition in the institutional realm which is why i'm still at work...

Jun 11, 09 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

whistler, 2 questions

1. did you work for busby
2. are you hiring?

holz is working on a few small public projects and some healthcare.

holz lost all his good projects last year and has been fightinga long winter and serious depression since then.

holz makes competitions to fill portfolio and stand chance of getting job in new green economy (assuming there are any clients in seattle that still want to do progressive passive projects...)

Jun 11, 09 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
some person

commercial office buildings

Jun 11, 09 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
SpoonMe

...a 3-Car Garage / Boat Shed /Woodshop with Studio Aptartment above in the Polish Zakopane Style, on a wooded site somewhere in Wisconsin.

Jun 11, 09 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

high school for 1000 students

wedding chapel (restoration of historic chapel with addition of a support building for get-ready functions, separated by a cloister/courtyard)

Jun 11, 09 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
med.

cryz, yeah I was there for a week. We weren't allowed to leave the compound because of the security situation. I have been in "questionable" countries before, but this one was insane. In a good economy, we would have just walked away from something like that.

We're doing the chancery of the embassy and surprsingly I've been able to do quite a bit of the design of it.

Jun 11, 09 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

(gully side)
1. stage B; deck, dining, and entrance for a granny/rental flat
2. stage B; first floor addition to a project I previously designed
3. stage A; townhouse renovation

(A side)
a. stage A & B; model motor vehicle examination centre

Jun 12, 09 12:03 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

wow, Poczatek, thank you for introducing me to the wonders of Poland! I had no idea it was so pretty, I really don't know what was in my head but it wasn't Zakopane. Gorgeous!

I'm working on an office building, simple version answer. I'm enjoying it.

Jun 12, 09 12:54 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Holz... I didn't work for Busby but worked in an office beside his about 15 yrs ago. See him speak about once every yr and half, most of the new stuff is going well beyond LEED and really into regenerative buildings that repair the earth or are completely self sufficient. Thanks for asking, but no we aren't hiring, just not interested in having a bigger office than what I have at present.

Jun 12, 09 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
xaia

sneakers for my niece.

program req'ts: pink.

Jun 12, 09 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Whistler,

I was only half kidding. Though I would be interested in emailing regarding the passive systems… especially since we’re almost in the same bio-region.

Jun 12, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Designing my life. So far, it is way over budget.

Jun 12, 09 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

CFD analysis of a high rise that would improve the performance of "wind turbines". The building is already designed, now we just have to figure out how to have the turbines spin, if not I think we'll use my suggestions and use the PV's from the building next door to power the turbines. Its all for looks anyways...

Jun 12, 09 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

I'm doing a couple of corporate R&D lab renovations.

Jun 12, 09 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
switch

(re)designing my:

website
portfolio
business card

It's that time of the year.

Jun 13, 09 12:17 am  · 
 · 
poop876

So its safe to say that 90 percent of people posting on here do not have full time jobs?

Jun 13, 09 4:43 am  · 
 · 
trace™

My life is more than a full time job

Jun 13, 09 9:06 am  · 
 · 
jsoto3

I feel very fortunate to be working on a large hospital expansion (new patient tower, parking garage, and central utility plant). Heatlhcare is the dominant sector at my office, but even it is slowing down.

Jun 13, 09 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
crave

a door swing

Jun 15, 09 12:10 am  · 
 · 

a $20m school project due at the end of august - and in desperate need of my attention right now - and i will spend MOST of my week in meetings which do not help push the project forward. sheesh.

Jun 15, 09 8:10 am  · 
 · 
lekizz

A collection of training buildings. If I told you any more I (probably with the expert help of the client) would have to kill you.

Jun 15, 09 8:22 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

training for what??

Jun 16, 09 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Yeah I have seen where even hospital work has slowed down significantly.

Even public health and justice projects have slowed down. We've seen a lot of projects like these get shelved because it basically throws some serious mud in the face of county and state administrators trying to build hospitals and courthouses while everyone else is just getting poorer.

And for hospitals, I mean think about it... Healthcare costs are increasing at alarming rates and soon enough no one will be able to afford it. I am insured and cant even afford it. So what does it tell people when they build a gleaming new beautiful hospital when no one can even afford healthcare?

I will wait for someone to call me a communist.

Jun 16, 09 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

I spent the summer working for a really large firm specializing in healthcare - and yes, things have slowed down, to put it lightly! =(

Jun 16, 09 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I know that HKS severely contracted over the past year and they have a huge healthcare studio.

Jun 16, 09 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
binary

almost done building my new portfolio case.... pics soon.....

other than that....hmmm..... might do a new design for a t-shirt.....

actually working on some clothing pieces and need to prototype up some jewelry pieces for my line

Jun 16, 09 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Glass blowing studio for a local artist.

Jun 18, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
Jun 20, 09 12:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: