Archinect
anchor

IDP, last call

Just to triple check, you just need to open a file with NCARB before July 1, but you don't need to log all your retroactive hours by July 1, right?

Jun 11, 09 1:35 pm
Cherith Cutestory

"The Six-Month Rule will require interns to submit their training units in reporting periods of no longer than six months and within two months of completion of each reporting period. The rule will go into effect on 1 July 2009 for interns who begin an NCARB Record on or after that date and 1 July 2010 for all interns regardless of application date."

OR:

July 2009 – Six-Month Rule goes into effect for interns who begin an NCARB Record on or after this date.

July 2010 – Six-Month Rule goes into effect for all interns regardless of when they started their NCARB Record.

Jun 11, 09 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"All of the provisions of the Six-Month Rule are designed to make every internship experience more constructive and valuable. The rule will greatly improve the accuracy of reporting, which should help reduce the amount of time it takes interns to complete the IDP."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jun 11, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
binary

yeah.... so who whats to sign off on my hours.....

Jun 11, 09 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
ether

This is all assuming NCARB can process all of these hours in a prompt manner. I call those guys all the time only to be put on hold for 20 or so more minutes. Finally, they bounce me to the general voice mail which is almost always full. Try emailing them and it takes them many moons to get a response.

Jun 11, 09 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Oh, and I tried to check on some hours I recently submitted and received this response from the website:

"The electronic Experience Verification Reporting system feature is currently unavailable.

Please check back later to submit your entries.

We apologize for the inconvenience."

Jun 11, 09 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
raj

it is back and running.

Jun 14, 09 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

i guess i am in the minority, because i have emailed them on 3 seperate occasions and have gotten a response within a week each time

they also processed my 2 online submissions of hours (3 years worth) in less than a month

the EVR system worked great for me

i found emailing was much more receptive from them than calling on the phone
just resend the email every day and you will get a response quicker

Jun 15, 09 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
thenewold

is it possible to start recording credits with a pre-professional degree in architecture?

Jun 30, 09 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

thenewold - I always thought you needed a professional degree. I could very well be wrong though. Although you could qualify for these two as specified on NCARB's website:

"2. The third year of a four year pre-professional degree program in architecture accepted for direct entry to a two-year NAAB-accredited professional master’s degree program"

and

"4. Ninety-six semester credit hours as evaluated in accordance with the NCARB Education Standard, of which no more than 60 hours can be in the general education category"

I've had the same experience as Marmkid. For them to approve the first one took forever - literally months. But after that, I'm pretty sure you're assigned to someone. After that I was able to e-mail the contact and they would approve THAT DAY. And thats before the EVR system. EVR should work for you guys that are either starting or still in the process. I never bothered because by the time EVR came out, I was about 95% done with IDP. I got the e-mail yesterday saying I'm officially done!

Jul 1, 09 9:53 am  · 
 · 
some person

congratulations, Slartibartfast! Now schedule your first exam ASAP!

(and I'm usually cautious about using the term 'ASAP,' but it absolutely applies here!)

Jul 2, 09 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
__|_|_ |',__|_

I just posted this in another thread but anyway...

I completed the entire process (with ten your old work experiences) in exactly seven weeks using both e-EVR and Form 123's.

I called NCARB a lot, spoke to the same people repeatedly and got on really well with them.

Sure being on hold sucks. If you're bounced into voice mail, I found that calling right back will usually get you in touch with someone. Just be nice and persistent and it should all go smoothly.

Jul 7, 09 10:11 am  · 
 · 
ORomaniuk

Just a quick question... can I report my work hours to IDP if the person I am working for is an honorary AIA member. I don't think he's allowed to sign off on those, but just wanted to double check...

Jul 7, 09 11:36 am  · 
 · 
__|_|_ |',__|_

If they are not a registered architect, then your work setting could possibly be either D (under a registered engineer or landscape arch) or E (under the supervision of an experienced design or construction individual).

In either case you would then be limited in the types and amount of Training Units that NCARB will allow. The specifics are on pages 30-31 of the January 2009 IDP Guidelines.

Jul 7, 09 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
__|_|_ |',__|_

ORomaniuk,

If you are referring to your work with Competitions it may be a close call for work setting E, in which case you could report 45 required Units and 72 elective Units in Categories C and D.

Try calling NCARB 202-879-0520.

Jul 7, 09 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
ORomaniuk

I appreciate the help.

Jul 7, 09 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
__|_|_ |',__|_

It's cool. 117 IDP Units can be very useful. That's how I finished off my NCARB requirements after working for an unregistered design/build contractor for the last five years.

Jul 8, 09 12:43 am  · 
 · 
ORomaniuk

Just wanted to give an update - I called NCARB today and they let me know that working under someone who is not a registered architect, but is in a design-related profession (in my case, it is for the chief editor of an architectural magazine) can qualify for either categories C or D in IDP training, under a work setting E

Jul 8, 09 10:38 am  · 
 · 
__|_|_ |',__|_

Great news ORomaniuk!

You can get approximately 16.7% of your IDP Training Units that way.

Jul 8, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

what credits could you have submitted working under a magazine editor? just curious.

Jul 8, 09 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
ORomaniuk

-participation in museum programs which qualifies under section D
-preparation of interview questions.. either for architects featured in a magazine or firms that participated in competitions, won commissions, etc - this goes under office management
-also team building and pro-collaboration as it relates to building professional relationships between a magazine and its subscribers, who, in many instances, are arch firms and organizations
-marketing activities, also relating to magazine's organization, layout and structure

...just a couple of things that pop into my head, based on what my tasks have been thus far - these all fall under office management and professional/community service.

Jul 8, 09 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
__|_|_ |',__|_

One thing to keep in mind is that Training Area 16 Professional & Community Service is defined as "voluntary participation."

I thought it best to keep my Units to the minimum required in that area (which is 10) and instead used the remainder of my 117 allowed Units in Training Area 14 Project Management.

Jul 8, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: