Archinect
anchor

Can I record my previous IDP units?

stargazer

Hi,

I wonder if I can record my previous IDP units at this moment. Here is my situation:

04-07 Three-year Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies (UK system)*

07-08 Worked for a London office for almost one year

08-present Just finished my first year of my 3.5 years Master in Architecture program in the US

As far as I know, I can record up to 235 units for "foreign" experience under the supervision of an architect chartered in that country. Can I record my previous experience in London?

However, I wonder if the rule no.2 below is applicable to my situation as I have completed the third year of a 3 year * pre-professional degree program in architecture and was accepted to a 3.5yr program of master's degree when I was working

(*Note: for the UK system, bachelor degree programs in architecture are generally three years.)

WHEN CAN I START THE IDP?
You can earn IDP training units once you have successfully completed one of the followings:

1. Three years in an NAAB-accredited professional degree program;
2. The third year of a four year pre-professional degree program in architecture accepted for direct entry to a two-year NAAB-accredited professional master’s degree program;
3. One year in NAAB-accredited professional master’s degree program following receipt of a non-professional degree;
4. Ninety-six semester credit hours as evaluated in accordance with the NCARB Education Standard, of which no more than 60 hours can be in the general education category; or
5. A number of years equivalent to the periods set out in 1., 2., or 3. above, in a CACB-accredited professional degree program, or in a Canadian university professional degree program certified by CACB.

Jun 10, 09 9:22 pm
treekiller

your undergrad degree in the UK is not a NAAB degree, so all experience prior to your matriculation in the US M.Arch program does not count towards IDP. The good news is now any experience you get from now on, since you completed the first year of the M. Arch, that meets the minimum duration, will count towards IDP. So go ahead and start IDP.

yeah, NCARB is a bunch of red tape and very frustrating.

Jun 11, 09 11:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: