Archinect
anchor

Built Up Roofing Failure

wurdan freo

What are the common failures of Built Up Roofing?

What signs can you look for that the roof needs to be replaced?

Anything other than obvious holes or cracking?

Are BURs still spec'd or has eveyone switched to single ply?

The roof will be inspected by walking on it with no access to the spaces below. Any input is appreciated.

Jun 10, 09 12:17 pm
el jeffe

wait - are you inspecting a roof but don't know what to look for? if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it and hire a roofing inspection service.

that said,
common failure causes are: improper installation, improper or non-existent maintenance/repairs, & age.

delamination & bubbles of the plies, exposed asphalt that is crazed, ponding, and leaks around penetrations are common problems.

yes b.u.r. is still spec'd.

neatly cut a 3"x3" square down to the deck so you can see the number of roofs & layers and their composition. bring some roof patch to replace the cutout and seal it.

Jun 10, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

EJ - Thanks for your input. I am inspecting it, but not in any official capacity. I'm considering buying a property and will be looking at the roof just to get an idea of its overall condition. If it gets to the point where I get serious about the purchase, I will be hiring a professional to inspect it.

It's hard to believe that you would acutally cut a piece of the roof out. That seems like a liability, unlesss you had the owner, manufacturer, and the roofer agree to it in writing.

Jun 10, 09 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Ponding is big. If it exists, there any creep of the roof joists?

If it's black, then it's probably pretty old and will absorb the sun's rays and overheat.

Is it still sloped properly?

Is there a proper termination bar/flashing detail? Or is it just tucked under the parapet coping?

Jun 10, 09 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: