Archinect
anchor

need architect to make residential bathroom wheelchair accessible

n400

Hi. My mother will soon be wheelchair-bound and needs to knock down a wall and/or other things to make the bathroom wheelchair accessible. She would like to work with an architect who can discuss the most effective ways to do this and draw it up for her. She will obviously pay for those services.

I don't know the best way to go about finding an architect for her and would appreciate any advice.

This is in Palm Beach County, Florida.

Jun 6, 09 5:23 pm

Try the yellow pages or if there is an architect on the board located in Florida; Nam do you know of anyone

Jun 6, 09 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
n400

By the way, she will absolutely NOT work with contractors.

Jun 6, 09 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Ask, ask, ask around of everyone you know whether they or someone they know have worked with a residential architect they like.

I'd say try to find someone who does residential remodeling, as they are more than likely small scale and accustomed to taking on small jobs, and therefore less expensive. A large firm will know the ADA inside out, but can get overwrought when it comes to small residential remodels. A sole proprietor or 2-3 person office will more likely be appropriate.

If there is a local upscale residential design monthly (Here it's called Indy Home and is an offshoot of Indianapolis Monthly - the kind of magazine with lots of restaurant reviews and plastic surgeon ads) they might have ads for architects. It will certainly have ads for interior decorators, and you can always call one of them and ask them for a recommendation, as a lot of designers work with architects when a job has a structural/code component they can't handle.

Or, if there are local home design furnishing type stores, ask them if they can make a recommendation - we've gotten a few phone calls because we shop for clients at certain stores so the owners know us.

And don't be afraid to call one architect looking for a recommendation for another. A smart firm owner will, if the job is too small for them, direct you to someone they know and trust who is more appropriate - often a former employee who has gone out on their own, or the architect spouse of a current employee who runs a small shop.

Jun 6, 09 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
crave

^good advice
after I emailed you, I remembered this guy, David Lawrence in West Palm Beach. The job may be too small for him but he has a good reputation and can probably recommend someone as well.

Jun 7, 09 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
n400

Thank you so much for the help and advice!

Jun 7, 09 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: