Geeks and Anti-social people...

l3wis

stop

talking

dude.

Jun 2, 09 9:51 am  · 
 · 
camhard

I just have a question: can it not be learned? I mean, I am extremely quiet/shy, and feel pretty awkward in many social situations involving small talk and people I don't know super well. If we're talking about a subject that involves/interests me or I am knowledgeable about, it's much easier, though I'm still a shy person, so it's not super easy. Anyways, because of this, I can understand that social interaction may not seem natural, or be enjoyable, but I have difficulty understanding that it is just something you can't do. I've been working really hard to get better at it, forcing myself into uncomfortable situations where I have to mingle, or speak infront of people. I'm still not skilled or at ease by any means, but I find that I'm improving. By watching other people do it, and interacting with the more abled shmoozers, I'm learning. It also becomes more enjoyable the better I get at it. Right now I just see it as something I want to be really good at, because it's a skill I see as very useful, helping me both when I enter the professional world, as well as in my personal life (most people tend to like me, it's just very difficult to convince them of this in a short period of time, so most of my friends I know through other friends, as we see each other repeatedly because of the mutual acquaintance).
Just a thought though. I see you said you would be happy as the render or code guy, but if you wanted to take it to a different level, I think you could do it, and you may even find out that you actually like wasting time chatting to strangers (don't assume that it is futile, and always working and liking it is somehow superior to those who take the time to discuss pop culture or whatever).

Jun 2, 09 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Mr. Asspergers: Quibble of Sundog & Halo : in a strange country that DOES NOT SPEAK ENGLISH, there would be less social protocols that would need to be met by aspergers people... do you understand that.

firstly, please don't insult me by questioning whether I understand you or not when it is plain that you're being very plain; you really are being a demeaning little prick irrespective of your social skills or lack thereof.

secondly, you don't need to shout by using CAPS...or do you also suffer from CAPSpergers?

thirdly, you are being a wanking cow. oops, your asspergers disorder aggravated my tourette syndrome.

Jun 2, 09 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

this reminds me of a south park episode with onlookers cheering on: cripple fight, cripple fight!

Jun 2, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Neuro typical surprise me again and again, but only one time pr. issue.
Like in a discussion at an architect site, you feel you can't get thru -- then you post a drawing, something that clearly image both the detail and the whole, but you get very few answers....
I find words restricting compared drawings and find a drawing a better argument, but no ; it's not about how it is made and what that afect the project, -- it's about guessing some silli thing, putting arguments in others mouth and air. Guess why I newer realy looked for N.T's

Jun 2, 09 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

ok, we have Dyslexia Syndrome posting now.

I wonder whether or not Mr Aspergerup there is actually Mr. Münchausen-in-drag.

Jun 2, 09 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
xacto
I am good at teamwork, and team building things, and working together for a specific goal. i can co-operate, remember this isnt Ass hole syndrome.

while having aspergers and being an asshole are not one in the same, i'm willing to bet it is possible to suffer from both...

capsbergers...brilliant

Jun 2, 09 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Quibble of Sundog & Halo, my belive aspergers rarely are Drama queens.

Jun 2, 09 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
oe
a pig. in a cage. on antibiotics.
Jun 2, 09 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I used to babysit a kid with Aspergers. He just graduated HS, and strangly enough, he's going to college on an acting scholorship. From what I remember, the doctors said Aspergers is often misdiagnosed as tourettes.

Per, its good to see you again! You are truly one of the most entertaining posters.

Jun 2, 09 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
archroma

To the original poster: I am surprised if you only considered this now and not earlier in your career.

I have some observational experience with Aspergers, my 20 year old brother has both Aspergers and Tourettes in disabling proportions.

Its great that you can work as a team toward a specific goal. That seems more important in architecture than smoozing. I know "normal" people who could use some practice in teamwork. There are places for a variety of working personalities and that includes characteristics that are diagnosable.

Refrain from telling people how inane and tedious you find thier small talk and they might just think you are shy and leave you to working. It's probably not easy but maybe with practice.

This thread may be beat to death and I am certainly no expert, but you asked for help in your original post and I am giving my .02 cents.

Good luck.

Jun 3, 09 2:04 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

I often seen turret as a side effect with aspergers, But there are all varying instance Nainly crowds are a pest for most Aspergers, loud noise are said to be but as often I know many will survive a good deal of loud speaking. As I said, most of these issues, as like how to spot a psykopat, can be learned even by just seeing it happen -- asking for advise I guess the most important shuld come first. BTW. I made a new painting, I promise I at some point will get back to architecture ;

I made the best Aspergers meeting group in this state working for round 7 years, so trust my advise. As for architecture I am only waiting for the day 3dh win.

Look at my ArtWanted site ;

www.ArtWanted.com/PC

Jun 3, 09 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

So Gastro-Resistant Caspules, just wondering. Do you have any friends you hang out with?

Jun 4, 09 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: