Archinect
anchor

should i stay or should i go

gina_c

tortured by the words... "in this economy" I struggle with the fact that I am staying with my job to be safe. The opportunity has presented itself to go for a job at a retail architecture firm, however retail arch is so volatile these days that I don't know if I should take the chance... the chance means a step in the direction of what I want to do with my future career, but also means I could be leaving stability and get laid off... does anyone has any recommendations?

May 28, 09 9:17 pm
some person

When is retail architecture ever NOT unstable?

May 28, 09 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

live life with no regrets!

besides, the economy is coming back

May 29, 09 9:54 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

decide what life is to you, what you want to do, what you want it to be. If your wish is to die climbing Everest, we all will support and be happy for you as long as it was what you wanted to do deep down

May 29, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 
gina_c

Thanks for all the valuable responses. It's a tough decision to make and I appreciate the help. To boy toy, I'm sorry your life is so miserable and you have to resort I putting others down. Have a good one!

May 29, 09 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

star,
nowadays you never know which market will hold and last. You never know if the client will pause a project or not. You never know if you will be laid off today or tomorrow. What I'm trying to say is that you never know if you will be better currently at the firm you are working for now or at the other firm. You can turn down the job and be laid off tomorrow, or you can take the new job and be laid off from your new job. I guess it all depends on the situation...if that other company wants you, you can draft a contract with them to at least have a good severance pay if you get laid off, but if you don't have any room to negotiate I personally would stick to the secure job for now and see how things work out in the future. Saying the market is getting better is very optimistic, but it is not reality.

good luck!

May 29, 09 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

"Can I give you some advice?. Well, I'm going to give it to you anyway. I don't want you making the same mistakes I made when I was young. Dwayne, that's your name, right? Dwayne? Listen to me, this is the voice of experience talking--are you listening? Fuck a lot of women, Dwayne. I got no reason to lie to you kid, fuck a lotta women. Not just one woman. A lotta women."

May 29, 09 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
phase123

op, I'd suggest you not asking such a question here. there're a lot of people who don't have as many choices as you do and are quite sensitive about it, some may have lost their basic courtesy/ sense, so your question will make their life more of a mess

seriously, did you do a research about the new job? asking some people and decide stability issues. but stability is relative, a company that looks great on day one may lay off a bunch very next day. good luck.

May 29, 09 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm with jk and Just Why: the economy seems to be improving, and retail (all architecture, really) is never safe, so if it's what you want to do the risk goes with the territory.

Also, if the firm at which you have an opportunity is doing well enough to be hiring "in this economy" they must be doing something right, right?

Look at your finances/situation, figure out if there is any IMPORTANT thing your current job allows you to have that the new one won't (benefits? pays for exams? concierge?) and whether that is something you can live without. Most likely you'll be able to. Good luck.

May 30, 09 10:35 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

how is the pay and bennies? if all fails you can come work for me....that is if I see a portfolio worth a grain of salt.

May 30, 09 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: