Archinect
anchor

Has anyone interned at EMBT?

l0sts0ul

How was it? Is Barcelona an affordable city? I was wondering what the work condition was like in their studio and if in fact you get paid or not. Also if only speaking english would be a factor?

May 26, 09 10:52 am
poop876

k4,
although I didn't work fo EMBT, I worked for another firm in Barcelona near the Placa Urquinaona. There were three principal architects and most of other architects/interns were younger in the mid 20's or so, and some of them in the mid 30's. All of them did speak English and we had no problems communicating at all. When they had meetings between themselves they did speak catalan, however when I was involved in anything they tried to communicate in english. So I'm assuming that most pepole at EMBT would be speaking english or at least understand, but you should be trying to speak catalan to them as well.
Barcelona is fairly affordable, depending where you will be staying etc. Restaurants were not an option for me every day, but we did manage to enjoy the tapas at some of them. Cheap wine you can find at any grocery store or any of the small vine shops. Again, depending where you will be living some apartments can be very expensive, comparable to Seattle or Chicago, but their public transporation is amazing so you will be having problems getting around.
As far as getting paid or not, I'm not sure. I guess it depends if you already discussed that with the firm. I didn't get paid, but then again I wasn't looking for a paid job and only some experience. Some of the people that were working at the firm were willing to share how much they made and it was about 1500 to 2000 euros a month. Not much but they manage it very well.

Good luck!!!

May 26, 09 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
adjustable

i have 3 friends that have interned there over 2 summers, they loved the experience, but don't expect to get paid if you're an intern. Barcelona is an amazing city, and assuming you're in the states the currency is a bit in your favor at the moment.

May 27, 09 5:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: