Archinect
anchor

Anyone doing planning and architecture?

joben

I was going to get my Masters in Regional Planning degree this coming fall and than was going to hopefully get my MArch after graduation because I want to do planning and architecture as side projects... Anyone doing this or have done this?

May 25, 09 9:19 pm
druf

My ex-gf did it when I was in grad school for architecture. It was a combined 3 year program where you get a masters in both architecture and planning. She did one year architecture, then one year planning. The third year was a combined thesis. In the end she figured out she liked planning better and dropped the architecture part for her third year.

I think one of the things to realize is that architecture grad school is a pretty unique environment that does not necessarily mesh well with other programs. My own experience was that full time attention and motivation was needed for an architecture program. It can be tough to find space for competing interests.

May 26, 09 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
joben

Thanks druf... Does architecture and planning teach skills that are analogous with each other? Is that why many universities offer this joint degree? I understand it would be hard to take both at the same time but if done separately would it be helpful for a planner to gain the knowledge taught in to an Architect, and than would an architect benefit from gaining the knowledge of a planner? I had a goal to maybe one day practice planning and than on my own time do architectural projects on the side

May 27, 09 10:48 am  · 
 · 
archnut

I do both on quite a regular basis in the professional world just by the nature of the type of projects I do.

I did my undergrad in architecture and my grad in archictecture.

I was trained early on in my professional career to understand how planning integrates into architecture and visa-versa.

I'm not sure if you would benefit that much from gettting degrees in both fields. A lot depends on what type of real work you will do after your done with school. You could try interning in different offices that have varying project focuses to see if it is really what you want to do before you go in after another degree. Of course, if all you want to do is teach at the college evel then it might be different.

Jun 14, 09 7:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: