Archinect
anchor

Preparing for a summer internship

swisscardlite

Hello all,

I'm an architecture student about to start an internship this summer. What are some ways I can best prepare myself for the job?

I'm a little nervous because I've only had limited previous working experience. And since I'll be paid, I definitely feel the need to perform the best that I can. Any tips out there? Thanks.

May 22, 09 10:03 pm
byen01

I'm sure this advice applies to any type of internship, but bring to the internship a high level of professionalism and be pro-activ(e and pimple free). Depending on the type of firm you'll be working with, be prepared to work with some terrible clients (see: horribly rich, horribly snobby, terrible taste). If you're going to be primarily drafting, perhaps you should refresh your memory on autocad/archicad/revit etc. if you haven't used it in a while.

Also, wear black cardigans. And be as hip as possible haha

May 23, 09 4:10 am  · 
 · 
LucasGray

Be prepared to spend hours working on models and drawings just to have your supervisor change their mind and have you redo them.

May 23, 09 4:15 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

ask questions...dont sit and think forever when you get stumped...

May 23, 09 5:42 am  · 
 · 
Yumtoder

be first to arrive everyday. last to leave. enjoy what you do. don't complain. ask many questions. forget the beach.

May 23, 09 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
commuter

Be enthusiastic and pleasant.

May 23, 09 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Don't tell anyone else in your class you get a job, let alone a paying job. Unless you want to get beaten up behind the old barn after school.

May 23, 09 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
byen01

*but feel free to tell all your non-arch friends about said paid job, especially if they've been working for 'school credit' at a non-profit.

May 24, 09 10:39 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Definitely don't tell your friends. I almost kicked the crap out of a really close friend of five years when he posted "I GOT A GREAT JOB, STARTING RIGHT AFTER GRADUATION!" as his AIM away. He's also trekking around Europe for a month, on parent's money. Must be nice...

May 24, 09 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

before you get there:
reearch the firm - see what they do and understand it if possible
make sure your wardrobe is ready - jeans are ok for students in some firms, not others
brush up on the skills they should expect (especially 3D or AutoCAD if mentioned in interview)

after you get there:
be professional (clothes/omn-time/attitude, etc)
make friends (best networking possible)
listen to everything (even when its obviosly BS)
ask questions ALL the time
DO NOT facebook/myspace/twitter on company time or equipment
DO NOT take long lunches
Ask your supervisor what his/her expectations are and ask if you can assist with anything extra
NEVER turn down a learning opportunity (lunch&learns/webinars/AIA meetings, etc)
HAVE FUN !

May 26, 09 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^ wow, I am 0/9 on that list. HA!

May 26, 09 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

10. don't hesitate to come in on a Sunday, wearing flip-flops and an offensive (but funny) t-shirt. Then have the model you're building take all night into Monday, and wind up being stranded at the office because you live 90 minutes away, with nothing to change into but that same set of flip flops and dirty t-shirt. You get the best looks from principals that way. Oh, and forget your toothbrush and deodorant. Coffee covers all bad smells, right?

May 26, 09 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: