Archinect
anchor

Penetrating

camhard

How do I start getting experience?

I've completed second year at a university and am awaiting an admissions decision for their environmental design program. I've worked as a laborer for a small residential firm, volunteered to manage a product library for a sustainable building centre, taken a course in drafting (ACAD) at my university, and an architectural drawing course at an art and design university through their continuing ed system.

While I realize it is hard for anyone to get a job at the moment, where would I look (in a normal economy) to get myself into the industry. All the positions I see are for intermediate or advanced architects, project managers, etc. with the occasional office assistant thrown in there. It was similar last year.

So many places ask for experience, yet I find it difficult to get that experience. I feel like I've been at the bottom, which is fair, and I'm willing to stay there for a while, but how do I bridge the gap between no experience jobs like laboring, and higher positions (e.g. intermediate architect)?

I need a summer job, and am trying to find employment that will give me the experience required to avoid unemployment/being stuck at or near the bottom after I get a degree. Is there a need for someone with technical drafting skills, but lacking knowledge of standards, codes, etc.? I can draw many things, create (dynamic) blocks, edit attributes, link tables, etc. but need to be told more-or-less exactly what to draw.

I'm also just about ready to take the LEED AP exam, but it seems as though accreditation is really only an asset when applying for a more experienced role.

Thanks for any suggestions.

May 4, 09 5:59 pm
randomized

a post called "Penetrating" posted by "camhard" just makes you wonder...

May 5, 09 11:04 am  · 
 · 
camhard

haha... i didn't even consider my name. Perhaps I should change it, as everyone seems to take it the wrong way. The thing is, I use it for all email addresses and accounts, so it's just so hard to do it now. I made it a number of years ago, with the innocent intention of making a simple, professional internet name. It's simply the first three letters of my first name, and the first four of my last. hmmm, perhaps it is time I change. the title was somewhat intentional though, in the hopes that it would garner much attention.

May 5, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

the right kind of attention?

May 5, 09 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

are you willing to work for free? im not a fan of that, but, given the situations, both yours and economic, you might offer to help around in an architectural office, where you can help each other, you drawing and they can teach you stuff along the way and they might end up paying you something (minimal, I know I would) in return even if you guys have not agreed on it,, just for the summer,, since you seem to be asking only about experience and did not mention any economic reasons.. I dont know, try it,,

May 5, 09 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
camhard

Ya, I have thought about that. I am not a fan either, but I think it may be my best option for the moment. I was thinking of suggesting I could come in a couple times a week. This would hopefully allow me to still make some money, so that I am not completely broke for the next school year.
I think I will give it a shot, while continuing to send resumes in the hopes of obtaining some paid work.
Thanks.

May 5, 09 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
camhard

Oh...
As I continue to send out applications though, are there less obvious places I should be looking to? As of yet, I've more or less contained my search to architecture firms and other building designers. I thought about printing/graphic design places, as this type of work also interests me and I think is somewhat related, but I don't yet have the knowledge or skills (in the spare time I have right now, I'm working on that).
Would such a place be beneficial in the pursuit of an architectural career? Any other less obvious options?

May 5, 09 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Try sole proprietors. If you can get your hands on the local AIA guide, great, but a lot of sole props aren't in the AIA because it's too expensive. So use your local yellow pages. Sole props seem to be staying fairly busy, and they often have work that suddenly piles up so they need help for a month or a week with very little notice.

May 5, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
camhard

Hmm, I never new that. I'll definitely look into it. I'm also guessing that I would have more learning opportunity working more directly with an architect, as well as perhaps seeing projects through a larger portion of the design process.

May 5, 09 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

see if any professors need help working on their own projects, or if they know someone who needs a part time drafter. that is how i got my first job, and it has been great.

May 8, 09 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: