Archinect
anchor

Parking req's in Los Angeles?

greenlander1

This is probably has an obvious answer to some but I was wondering about parking requirements for apartments in Los Angeles?

I checked through the regular parking provisions in LADBS for
"2-family dwelling or apartment" and

units > 3 habitable rooms = 2 spaces/ unit
units = 3 habitable rooms = 1.5 space/ unti
units
Does this only apply to new construction? Because most apartments in say Koreatown or Hollywood don't have parking.

Apr 29, 09 7:01 pm
greenlander1

Oops forgot. I was thinking about R2-1-HPOZ zoning.

Apr 29, 09 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
SoCalArch

The zoning won't always tell you the whole story. It may be dependent on separate regulations such as specific plans, overlay zones, CRA requirements, etc.

LA has been trying to push down its parking ratios in the redevelopment areas as a bit of an incentive to provide more mixed-use pedestrian oriented environments. Thus, depending on the area in LA (Hollywood, Little Tokyo, etc.), and adjacency to public transit, you might find regulations that supersede the zoning parking ordinances allowing lower ratios.

Apr 30, 09 1:02 am  · 
 · 
sgs23

So if I have 3 units with 3 habitable rooms each I need 4.5 parking spaces, who uses half a parking space?

Apr 30, 09 9:01 am  · 
 · 

motorcycles

Apr 30, 09 9:24 am  · 
 · 
aldorossi

Always round up up to the nearest whole number with parking spaces.

So you would need to provide 5.

See how easy that is?

Apr 30, 09 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

aldo!!...come stai? and all this time i thought you were dead....

Apr 30, 09 11:43 am  · 
 · 
mleitner

As SoCalArch says, there is no simple answer to your question.

In general, a building needs to conform to the zoning code requirements of the time it was permitted. If you change the use of a building or plan major alterations to an existing building you would probably be required to meet today's parking requirements.

Whether you need to fully comply with all of today's parking requirements for a remodel would depend on the scope of work you are proposing.

You should go and talk to the planning counter Downtown to get some pointers. Once you know what your plans are, formulate an interpretation of the code as you see appropriate and discuss it with planning.

May 1, 09 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: