Archinect
anchor

Convention mentions

crowbert

So, about half my office is leaving this week for the AIA convention. I am one of those to remain and hold down the fort.

I am also being pressured to go to at least one convention this year. Any suggestions for good conventions (in the US preferably, however international flights ARE cheap right now...) for us in the architectural community - especially something related to:

Green
Urban-Infill
Renovation/Restoration
Manufactured Housing (in the Dwell, over-priced vein, not the cheap under-insulated vein)

It would be even better if the convention was located somewhere fun and not too hot (in the summer) or cold (in the winter)

Apr 27, 09 3:59 pm
citizen

Is this anything like "Conjunction Junction"?

Apr 27, 09 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

How about the Liveable Places conference?

Apr 27, 09 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
empea

Just a side track: enjoy the fact you are in fact being "pressured" to do this stuff. In many offices, such as my current workplace, you will have to fight for even a couple hours of training that you deem necessary, let alone GOING AWAY. Remember that in most places an hour spent on development is first and foremost seen as an hour lost producing drawings.

As for concrete tips, I have none, sorry :)

Apr 27, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Oh, I am appreciative of getting to go to a convention, but other than the AIA convention which I've been to a few times now, there's not a lot of alternatives that I've heard of.

And they should have a mass-transit design convention called "conjunction junction". I'd go to that!

I'll check out the livable places con citizen, thanks! Also, saying "thanks for the assistance, citizen!" makes you feel like a barrel-chested superhero.

Apr 27, 09 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

It might not be right up your street, but the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) will be having their gathering in Chicago 22-25th October which is exactly the same date as the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA), also in Chicago. I'm contributing to both.

Probably far more fun is World Architecture Festival (WAF) '09 (I apologise on their behalf for the spamming going on on a few threads here) in Barcelona November 4-6th. Last year's was awesome.

Apr 28, 09 7:34 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I was going to suggest ACADIA also, I'm planing to go this year. PsyArch, you'll be in the Windy City?!?

Apr 28, 09 7:43 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Assuming that I finish my chapter (yesterday) for the CTBUH, and hold onto my job in the meantime, yes, Chicago here I come!

Apr 28, 09 7:57 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

if my office can scape up the $1000 that I don't have to get to atlanta, I'm set to present at GRHC in june.

Apr 28, 09 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: