Archinect
anchor

Employability

Yossarian

Would dual degrees make someone more employable? More specifically dual degrees in architecture+planning. Possibly architecture+construction management.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Just tell me and I'll move it.

Apr 26, 09 1:58 pm
LucasGray

I wouldn't think dual degrees would hurt one's employability. You might want to be careful about being over qualified for a position but if you are interested in pursuing architecture and planning or construction etc. go for it.

Apr 26, 09 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

A second degree in a field allied with architecture makes a lot of sense and should render a person more attractive to firms looking for that particular breadth of knowledge. Construction management, urban planning, landscape architecture, engineering, even business administration can complement architectural training nicely.

Apr 26, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

Yeh I definately think it would help.

It also depends on what type of job you want. As a dual degree I would go the CM route ...but that would only be my personal preference. I've never worked with an urban planner or have never seen what they do but I work with CM's all day long and I think it would def. help to know exactly what there job entails.

Apr 26, 09 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Charisma124

I saw a job posting for SOM, and in order to get hired as an urban designer, it said it was 'required' (not 'suggested' or 'preferred') to have an undergrad degree in arch, with a masters in city plng or urban design.

Working with urban designers, as an architect, you can always tell the difference who has gone to architecture school---and it makes it SO much easier to work with them.

Apr 26, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
med.

SOM is hiring? That has to be a misread...

Apr 27, 09 11:05 am  · 
 · 
poop876

SOM is definetelly not hiring!

Apr 29, 09 10:38 am  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

After several years of work experience at a firm, the willingness to become a project manager (versus designer), coupled with good interpersonal and organizational skills, was once the ticket to promotion and relatively consistent employment. (Bilingual written and spoken fluency in a client-sector's foreign language and culture (read: chinese dialects) was also ticket for some to job safety and possible quick promotion, mostly in project management.)

Willingness, ability, and talent to do both design and technical (construction documents), coupled with studio leadership skills and strong recommendations from former direct supervisors, was also strongly valued.

Now situation at many Chicago firms is such that "employability" is nearly nil for any candidate. Sorry.

Apr 29, 09 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

helps in the long run, confuses folks at first when you start out as a freshly minted graduate.

Apr 29, 09 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: