Archinect
anchor

foam wire cutter - styrofoam and health

louisfuton

we've all cut styrofoam at one time or another, perhaps some more than others...

is anyone aware of the health implications caused from inhaling the fumes? particularly i nthe case of prolonged exposure. ie)implications to nervous system, and cancer, etc.

is anyone familiar with guidelines used by offices to avoid certain foam (ie, pink or blue DOW, dense white, beaded styrofoam)... ?

curious.

Apr 24, 09 4:40 pm
Synergy

Good question. I'd start at just looking for information on fumes from burning foam, ignore the wire cutter aspect since that is just the implement.

Apr 24, 09 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
Styrene is primarily used in the production of polystyrene plastics and resins. Acute (short-term) exposure to styrene in humans results in mucous membrane and eye irritation, and gastrointestinal effects. Chronic (long-term) exposure to styrene in humans results in effects on the central nervous system (CNS), such as headache, fatigue, weakness, and depression, CNS dysfunction, hearing loss, and peripheral neuropathy. Human studies are inconclusive on the reproductive and developmental effects of styrene; several studies did not report an increase in developmental effects in women who worked in the plastics industry, while an increased frequency of spontaneous abortions and decreased frequency of births were reported in another study. Several epidemiologic studies suggest there may be an association between styrene exposure and an increased risk of leukemia and lymphoma. However, the evidence is inconclusive due to confounding factors. EPA has not given a formal carcinogen classification to styrene

we used the blueboard a lot. this may explain why i had constant headaches.

Apr 24, 09 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

We cut tons of foam at my firm in Japan. If I wasn't cutting it, there were 4 other people that were. The indoor air quality of that place was awful. Could explain why, although I love Japan I was always depressed and had headaches. I literally got 1-2 untreatable headaches a week.

Apr 25, 09 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

that and smoking in the office, eh hasselhoff? yech

Apr 25, 09 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

well, you're gonna die of something.

Apr 25, 09 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: