Archinect
anchor

IECC 2006 question....(yawn)

sharkswithlasers

Can anyone tell me what the R-value requirement is for a 'mass wall' above grade wall assembly? We're looking at pre-cast.

We don't even have a copy of the code in our office -- what?!?! -- so, if anyone knows off the top of their head, then THANK YOU!

Apr 23, 09 12:57 pm
On the fence

What zone?

1=3
2=4
3=5
4 except marine=5
5 and marine 4=13
6=15
7&8=19

50% of req. insulation R value is on the exterior otherwise you have to meet the R value of wood framed walls.

Apr 23, 09 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

On the fence -- that's what I'm talkin bout...

Zone 5

So, with precast, and 100% of the insulation is in the middle of the wall (none on the exterior) we'd need to meet the wood-framed R value? I now must greedily ask what the wood-framed value is...?

THANKS!

Apr 23, 09 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Kurt,

I find it ironic that someone who asks for references about posts doesn't know the answer to a simple question like this one... This is 101 stuff.

Apr 23, 09 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

You should definatly know what the r value of a wood frame wall in zone 5 is, if that is where you are working.

All this info is not only in the 2006 IECC but the 2006 IRC chapter 11.

The r value of a framed wall in zone 5 is............ drum roll....... 13+5

Yep that is correct. 13+5 see footnote g

Otherwise use 19. I think this is your number Kurt.

Apr 23, 09 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

thanks OTF --

I DO sound kind of ignorant on this stuff, don't I... ?

I'm fairly proficient with thermal properties of materials and assemblies, but the IECC has for some reason eluded me.

Chapter 13 IBC has been a recent surprise as well.

Make, I accept your derision on this issue, while fully maintaining my right to point out your 101 understanding of all things political.

Apr 23, 09 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: