Archinect
anchor

layoff - unemployment benefits

circlek09

I'm sure this question has come up before but bear with.

About to be laid off next week and from all my networking and resume distributing, everyone is still at hiring standstills. So though I never thought it would come to this, nor would I like to, I am thinking about unemployment benefits.

Does anybody know the timing on this, amount of pay (currently about $60k salary in NYC), and how long it takes from when you apply to start receiving?

Thanks in advance. If you have any job ideas you could slap those in too. Haha

Apr 17, 09 10:19 am
tidalwave1

depends on the state. google something like new york state unemployment insurance... usually you have to wait until after your last paycheck (unused vacation time, etc.)

Apr 17, 09 11:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
TryGoogle!
Apr 17, 09 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
circlek09

yes yes i've done the employment website and everything. i wanted to hear from other ny based people what their experience is. thanks

Apr 17, 09 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
eranthis

Here goes... I've been in it for two months now.

There is a 1-week waiting period after your official last-worked date. Sign up on the NYS DOL website ASAP after you are officially let go, otherwise your first payment may be (say you are let go on friday the 13th... register monday the 16th... your first payment will get to you sometime the week of monday the 23rd).

NYS maxes out unemployment payments at $405/week (there may be a nominal added amount for NYC residents, don't quote me on this, but a lot of social services and other forms of state aid add a bit for higher cost of living in NYC... I'm not sure about unemployment payments though). You also get $25/week extra as part of the federal stimulus plan.

If you elect to do so, they take 10% out for income taxes, because yes, you are still charged income taxes. Do this because you don't want to get whomped with underpayment penalties come tax time next year.

You can get payments posted to your regular bank account (checking or savings), or you can get a debit card. The debit card seems at first like a good way to go, except that it doesn't seem to work for me for anything other than groceries and small purchases - I couldn't pay my phone, cell or electric bills with it, even though I've never had trouble using the debit card connected to my husband's checking account for any of these things). There is no real customer service if you have problems with your card, either. I switched over to my checking account (which I don't have a debit card for...)

Each Sunday, you have to go in to the website and certify your weekly claim. The payment hits my bank account sometimes as early as Monday PM, and has always been there by Wednesday AM.

If you had health insurance through your job, you can get COBRA to continue coverage - you probably have to pay for it out of your own pocket, and it usually is the full amount (up to 102%) of what your company pays for it. However, the federal stimulus package is providing what amounts to a 65% discount for people collecting unemployment - it is given in the form of a tax credit or rebate or soemethinng to your former employer... So instead of $500 or whatever/month, you would pay only $175/month, and the govt. reimburses the company with tax breaks.

Good luck!

Chris

Apr 17, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
eranthis

A few more thoughts...

Sign up for unemployment as soon as you lose yr job. If you are entitled to vacation or other benefit pay, you can't collect until that is done. However, the weeks that you get leftover benefit pay don't count against the total amount you can collect.

Weigh your options - your unemployment claim is good for a year, but you can only collect for 6 months out of the year (theoretically - I've been told that a lot of design/construction/real estate jobs will likely be eligible for extensions). If you are approved to collect & find a seasonal job, you will still be able to collect the same amount in the fall if you are laid off at your seasonal job.

Don't ask me why I know all of this... It actually doesn't have that much to do with my current (or historical) employment status.

Apr 17, 09 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

i'm glad that someone from new york commented for you. i was vague in my answer because i've only been unemployed in Georgia and Florida.

Apr 17, 09 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

This might be one of the best bot necro-posts ever. Who knew that government services moved over to gmail ?!

Mar 21, 21 8:10 am  · 
 · 

Hey, if Hillary could do it! (Don’t @ me on this, it’s just a joke)

Mar 21, 21 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Before you are let go:

1. Get permission to use and copies of the construction documents you worked on.  

2. Get all of the emails from contractors, product reps and other contacts.

3. If you are not a registered architect yet then get your internship hours logged with NCARB.

4. Get the contact info and have a conversation with 4-5 coworkers who would be available and willing to be references.

Also bear in mind Unemployment insurance is INSURANCE you are entitled to and you paid for. Get any hangups on claiming this insurance benefit out of your head. No one would have a second thought about filing a claim if someone crashed into your car nor should you have any qualms about claiming insurance if your boss was not able to keep you employed. Your employer pays the fees but otherwise that money would be part of your pay otherwise so it is your money.

Hope this helps

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 23, 21 10:39 am  · 
1  · 

Also

5. Before the end of the month your health insurance is typically still active, get the dentist, doctor and optometrist appointments in before the end of the month while you still have insurance.

6. If you have a health savings account or IRA get the account info and make a plan to transfer the IRA or Roth to your own brokerage and the HSA to your bank or to use it up while you have insurance (don't try to use it up if you have a lot of money in it say $500+)

Mar 23, 21 10:44 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: