Archinect
anchor

Plastic

d-train

Anyone know of a plastic which can be poured and formed like concrete?

Here's the catch, I want it to be recycled....and have some structural integrity.

Apr 16, 09 1:47 am
Try Google
Apr 17, 09 10:30 am  · 
 · 
binary

ummm.....

epoxy resin for counter tops..... 2 part mix.....

not sure on the recycle part.... before or after

Apr 17, 09 10:35 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

most casting resins are NOT recyclable as they undergo a chemical reaction as they harden. Yes, you can grind it up and use it as filler for new products, but that's down-cycling not re-cycling as in cradle-to-cradle.

Apr 17, 09 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

The April 6 issue of the New Yorker had an article about the making of the Plastiki, an all plastic boat that will be completely recyclable. The article talked about a special plastic they found in Denmark called "self-reinforced polyethylene terephthalate" or "srPET", which they are using to mold the hull, and it's 100% recyclable. There's an abstract of the article here, but you have to register to read the whole thing.

Apr 17, 09 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Per....has to be up on that product.....mr boatman that he is.

Apr 17, 09 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

srPET is a thermoforming plastic, not a castable resin.

Apr 17, 09 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

well, just don't eat it: http://www.chefann.com/blog/archives/1265

Apr 17, 09 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

What can be said is said above, I realy wonder why it has to be plastic whenit must be poured as concrete, there are many new types of that being develobed,

Apr 18, 09 6:32 am  · 
 · 
SDR

The srPET in Plastiki is being used is a "cloth-like material" -- according to the New Yorker piece. Its being used in conjunction with PET foam, bonded into 60-foot-long panels with heat and vacuum. Thanks for reminding me -- I was thinking of going down to pier 31 and checking it out. . .

Apr 20, 09 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
d-train

thanks guys... that's a good start

Apr 21, 09 12:33 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Rather than make recommendations, this seems like a possibly interesting discussion: What is your goal with this material?

It seems to me you're at odds with your material demands. How is it that you want the final formed product to perform, exactly?

If something is pourable, it's likely depending on mass in compression to provide any structural benefit. Concrete can be poured and then support other things in compression. Something like glass can be poured, but is mainly only good at supporting its own weight (a pane of glass is in tension, right?). I've seen some chunky cast glass, but it's so brittle it can't take a load beyond itself.

Plastic prefers tension, right? But does pouring lead to strength in tension? I always think of materials used in tension being formed through processes like drawing (like cable) or assembling (like a truss).

Synergy, can you help out here? It's late and I'm not so smart right now.

Apr 21, 09 1:07 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Vgr requires the information
Vgr requires the information

d-train: Why poured ? Why plastic ? Why ? Asking for technical help with pieces of the puzzle missing is

no fair.

Isn't it ?

Apr 21, 09 2:00 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nice post, SDR!

I should add that my husband can absolutely answer your question, d-train - he makes a living casting objects for artists and knows everything there is to know about every kind of plastic available for small scale use - but I want to delve into your thinking first.

Apr 21, 09 7:12 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Well...are we talkin' art piece scale or structural like a building scale? I assumed the latter from d-train's post... In which case, whether you give us more info or not, like a couple posts are requesting, it's highly unlikely that there is going to be a product much like what you've described.

Apr 21, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: