Archinect
anchor

Recent Graduate, fulltime offer Need some advice

PewPewPew

Hey everyone, I will be graduating in May and my office wants to sit down and talk about a full time position. I need a little help here. What kind of salary should I be asking for. I have spent 6 years in ARCH school. For five of those years I have worked 30 plus hours a week at various firms. I have great experience, B of ARCH degree in May, half of IDP complete and good ethnics. I am enjoying the work I do now, but work "under the table" so I am contracted basically and have to pay my own taxes...etc..

What do yall think I'm worth?
I know the market is bad, but my office is doing good with work. What kind of increase percentage in pay should I consider since I am now a graduate and will be working 40+hrs a week. 10%? 5%? or or less?

I am tryin to get an idea of the increase of salary I could expect.

Thanks for any advice, help, suggestions..etcc..

Apr 15, 09 9:30 pm
babs

What are "good ethnics" please?

Could you tell us where you are located geographically, and the size of the firm where you work? That info has an important bearing on the answers we might provide.

Since you now work contract and presumably you'll become a regular employee on payroll and with benefits, I don't think you should be thinking in terms of a % increase - you need to be researching market comparables.

Apr 15, 09 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
PewPewPew

I consider Good ethnics, working hard, overtime. Getting projects and assignments done in a timely manner. Taking on more responsibilities etc..
I am in Charlotte at a small firm + - 15 people.

Are you suggesting that I may not get a increase in pay?

Apr 15, 09 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
babs

Do you mean "ethnics" or "ethics" ?

I'm not suggesting anything yet - I don't even know your current pay rate. I'll look up some stuff tomorrow at the office and respond in more detail then.

Apr 15, 09 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
PewPewPew

ha sorry ethics

Apr 15, 09 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
cwh1

Phew, I heard you can get in a whole mess of trouble if you are caught with ethnics doing all your work w/o pay these days..

Apr 15, 09 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Let firm suggest salary amounts and benefit package first, carefully listen, and then respond with care to their full offer. Beforehand, do your own independent research on current salary/benefits levels for new-hire "B.Arch" employees at your firm and in your area, so that you can discuss salary expectations knowledgibly. Don't give serious consideration to 2007 - 2008 ranges; these salaries may have been reduced by 10% to 20% by firms as a 2009 recession survival measure. Don't expect to exceed high-end of local salary "new B.Arch" range in your negotiations, unless you're willing to walk away from a standing job offer and suffer the open job market.

Remember, there are many unemployed architects now who are willing to take a salary cut, or a lower initial salary, to get a position, any position, and your firm is fully aware of that large pool of prospective employees.

Also consider, most vulnerable employees are often junior staff that receive compartively high salaries, reflecting salary expectations from high demand period, who are relatively overpriced for firm's situation now. Even if firm capitulated to a higher than norm salary offer now, it may be quick to put such relatively expensive employees on the lay-off list later when staff cuts are needed. An employee who is relatively inexpensive compared to productivity, output, and value to firm is a valued employee who is much less likely to be placed on lay-off list. Job security is a better trade-off than another $5,000 in gross pay.

Apr 16, 09 9:46 am  · 
 · 
babs

YellowFin - based on what you describe above, if you were interviewing at our firm we probably would consider you to be what the AIA calls an "Intern 2" or an "Intern 3" -- in our case, to make the decision between those two descriptions, we'd have to drill down into exactly what you've been doing in offices over the past 5 years and we'd spend a lot of time speaking with your references. However, your current firm already knows you, so they're already going to have a solid feel for your capabilities and your ability to contribute.

The latest AIA salary survey was published early last year and indicates the median base pay for Intern 3 positions in the Charlotte area to be $49,500; median base pay for Intern 2 positions in Charlotte is reported to be $42,000. For NC as a whole, the median figures for those two positions are $48,000 and $45,000. The survey assumes the firm is covering the cost of your employee benefits (i.e. health insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, etc.) which I presume would be the case with you. These numbers give you a starting point for thinking about compensation...but, it's just a starting point.

If you were asking these questions during the summer of 2008, I'd say the numbers reflected above would be a fairly accurate reflection of the wages being paid in your area for someone with your general qualifications. However, the economy has changed quite a lot since the summer of 2008 -- actual wages being paid in my area of the country now are considerabley lower that those shown in this survey. in his post above, chicago, ill gives you some sound advice - I recommend that you give his thoughts serious consideration.

Apr 16, 09 9:53 am  · 
 · 
PewPewPew

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help!

Apr 16, 09 10:02 am  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I graduated in '06, and here in San Francisco, it varies from minimum wage to 45K/year for graduates from top schools ith experince in major firms.

Apr 16, 09 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

babs' numbers seem about right, although giving the current state of the economy and the profession, i wouldn't be surprised to see lower numbers... it would depend a lot upon how busy your firm is and how much they like you...

Apr 16, 09 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
danger

rverk.ini....TOP SCHOOLS? ha ha...good to know my state education earned me much more at my job here in San Francisco...TOP FIRMS?...ha ha ha...what a strange observation...

TRY Salary.com ...then compare what entry level architects make compared to entry level construction managers...that's a little depressing...interesting to look cost of living indexes too...for example you will likely make the same wage in Charlotte as you would in San Francisco...BUT living costs are 50-75% lower in the south...something to consider when making comparisons and negotiating a salary.

Apr 16, 09 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
joe

Charlotte? eek.

beyond that, take what they'll give you and hold on tight.

Apr 17, 09 6:02 am  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

i'll be done with my m.arch in a year and i'm not expecting to make more than $35k when i graduate.

Apr 17, 09 9:58 am  · 
 · 
tmskim

35k? Does anyone else think that architects in general shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to salary negotiations? There seems to be an unfortunate tendency amongst new graduates to expect low salaries, so they don't even bother asking for anything respectable. There's a reason why it's called NEGOTIATING. If the employer wants you, they will work with you if they can't pay what you want. Until architects start demanding more, we are really our own ball and chain.

Apr 17, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
danger

I typically ask for $500,000 in interviews...usually works

Apr 17, 09 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
tmskim

good job danger, why don't you share some of that with the rest of us?

Apr 17, 09 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
danger

certainly. My salary is directly deposited into a Swiss bank account...so just send me your bank account and credit card numbers and I'll make the transfer.

Apr 17, 09 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
joe

I got thirty five out of school plus 2 grand to move. pittsburgh - 06

Apr 17, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

YellowFin - it seems your experience level, degree, and location would command in the 40-45k range. Nowadays, however, all bets are off. take whatever you can get.

Apr 18, 09 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

true dat

Apr 19, 09 1:06 am  · 
 · 
med.

If I haven't said it already, take the job. You have very few options.

Apr 20, 09 10:42 am  · 
 · 
PewPewPew

I took the job! Thanks for everyones help and advice. Great benefits and although not as high as salary as i wanted its very competitive esp. with todays market.

Apr 20, 09 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
file

congrats, YF ... good move.

Apr 20, 09 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: