Archinect
anchor

2010 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

http://issuu.com/loremipsum/docs/final-12-15

Back to publish final portfolio... everyone I have seen posted has done great work, this thread will be an awesome resource to those applying in the coming years if the links are kept hot or a database is formed.

Jan 1, 10 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Just wanted to say loremipsum, that your portfolio is much improved from one of the earlier drafts I remember looking at. Congrats and best of luck with your applications!

And that kind of applies to everyone in this thread. I've been paying particular attention to this topic as I look to join in the madness for 2010, and the quality and ammount of improvement I've seen from many is quite inspirational. Keep it up.

Jan 1, 10 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
zoon

skyoceanwalker i did not get a responce from them yet, sent my e-mail more than a week back. I have sent the official uni transcripts myself after a struggle to get a hold of them! hopefully they will get in time. the samples of writing i have not begun yet. my portfolio cd is sent as well, i'm still surprised at their requirement of a 20 page 72 dpi (!!!) pdf file. the resolution is pretty crappy and the text doesnt even show (font size 7, yes, that's as big as im willing to put!), not that the text matters but it gives an idea of how the lines are showing (or not showing for that matter).
btw i too have sent the porfolio to yale without an ID, didn't even think twice about that part although i probably did submit the online appl. before sending! i don't know how well my brain is functioning these days.

Jan 2, 10 4:01 am  · 
 · 
experim

skyoceanwalker,

about the portfolio
you said you're gonna drop it off by yourself

did you already do it?

were they open?

and if not is there like a specific box to hand in?

Jan 2, 10 9:39 am  · 
 · 
keopi

is anyone having trouble accessing berkeley's candidate page? I can't login.....
it's saying my record doesn't match what they have... but i logged into how I entered my name and everything to the previous webpage and it's exactly the same.

did anyone else miss something and then realize they were making a stupid mistake? i'm kind of upset about this.
:(:(:(

Jan 2, 10 10:27 am  · 
 · 
alexstitt

@keopi: log into it through the CED website link under the March application page, not through the link the emailed you.

and if you figure out how to delete something you posted on your page please let me know. I posted a "placeholder" .pdf on mine and didnt name my next one exactly the same so now I have extra documents up there.

Jan 2, 10 11:07 am  · 
 · 
alexstitt

those applying for Advanced Standing @ Cornell: what are you doing about the req. to "Submit all course syllabi"? Without even looking through my piles I know I kept exactly none of my syllabi.

Jan 2, 10 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Photoshopper

Raviolo and Stasis thanks happy new year!
Zoon, you should try it on Monday again. I sent several emails in past a couple of weeks. I always got responses.
I came to drop my portfolio in Yale. There are some people do the same. The building is open now.

Jan 2, 10 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

I'm sitting here tracking my portfolio sent via FedEx on Dec 29th to Yale...there was an attempted delivery on Dec 31st, but the office, 180 York Street, was closed at 10:00am and then no delivery yesterday (holiday) and now I see its just sitting in the local New Haven FedEx going nowhere...so I call the 1.800 number and the pre-recorded voice informs me that FedEx will not be delivering packages on both Jan 1 or 2, 2010.

...ummm

WHAT

THE

FUCK...

HOW IS IT FUCKING POSSIBLE THAT YALE ASKS FOR THEIR PORTFOLIOS TO BE DUE A) ON A SATURDAY IMMEDIATELY AFTER A HOLIDAY AND B) ON A DAY THAT FEDEX HAS OFF???

...surreal...

anyone else in a similar debacle?

Jan 2, 10 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
keopi

omg thanks villain! i was kind of freaking out...
then a couple letters didnt arrive at schools from my references (or so the website says) and she lives in london and i reminded her by email thinking there was still a week or so to go... and i got an out of office reply for until the 13th.... luckily she's glued to her blackberry and is sending them tonight.

two almost major problems but lt looks like everything will be ok!!!

good luck everyone!!

Jan 2, 10 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

I don't know if this helps at this point. USPS's express service's pretty darn fast. it really took me 2 days to deliver my portfolio to schools.

Jan 2, 10 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
architecture apprentice
http://issuu.com/anoopus/docs/portfolio_final

any comments appreciated! i take no offense so criticize please. as there is still a little time before i print and send the next few copies

im economics and art history major so not as versed in architecture studios as i would have liked

should i have included a physical model maybe? i have a couple that relate to this project before i revisited in sketchup. but they are not soo good / intricate

good luck to you all

Jan 3, 10 11:20 am  · 
 · 
bartender

Does anyone know how strict schools are with the word limits on personal essays? Penn asks for no more than 500 but I have about double that now from other school essays. If I cut it down too much I will have to lose the unique personal aspects.

And I agree, very nice work on the portfolios!

Jan 3, 10 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

arch apprentice-

The sketch on page 19 (I think) is nice, it might be nice if all your architectural projects had a sketch like this associated with it, even if its just a small one.

Your 3D renderings seem good, except for the colors I would say...too many and too bright for my taste...the spread on pages 30-31 is the nicest, I would say, except for the sky...maybe, but even that isn't too bad because its really the only color in the image. The previous two spreads have too many colors going on...I would suggest toning down the color of the sky significantly, it will make the colors on the building stand out more. If you could somehow replace it with a black&white photo of a real sky, that might be nice.

Arch folks love diagrams and process drawings, so I think it's good you have that in there.

Jan 3, 10 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
PandaEyes

andimdone,

I'm in a similar situation. I sent my portfolio to Yale on Dec. 26th, and last I checked it's still hanging out at the local Fedex. That's well over my 2 day delivery guarantee. Was SOOO freaked (and pissed) when I found out.

I tried calling Yale on Saturday, but the VM said their office was closed for winter break from Dec. 28th until Jan. 3. My package is suppose to arrive this Monday (Jan. 4). I'm planning to call again tomorrow just to let them know. Will let u know how the phone call goes!

Personally, I think it should be fine. It'd be really unfair for them to penalize us if there's no one @ their office to accept our packages.

Jan 4, 10 1:47 am  · 
 · 
alexstitt

@keopi...no problem! these applications can be stressful, but no worries...we'll all be ok :)

I have 9 applications down, and only michigan (brr), cornell (brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr), and sci-arc (mmmm) to go...can see the light.

Jan 4, 10 11:20 am  · 
 · 
mycatlikesMies

Holy shit, Villain you applied to 12 places? That's a lot on one shoulder... I currently go to Michigan for their undergrad arch. program & the grads and undergrads are pretty close since we share facilities & elective classes so if you have any qs ask away...

PandaEyes + andimdone - same sitch with Yale, and my portfolio was delivered today so I'm guessing it's okay. I called them asking about LORs because two of my recommenders decided not to submit on time - or so I think, but perhaps the online system stops updating after you submit the app? Anyway the lady in the office was cool with it, she just said to make sure they submit soon because they're going to start reviewing apps. So I'm guessing it's the same case with the portfolio...

Jan 4, 10 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
moeamaya

I called in to Yale this morning seeing that my portfolio was delivered today and the person on the phone said that it would not be a problem.

Jan 4, 10 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
alexstitt

coming right out of undergrad I applied to a handful of "top" schools with a cocky sense of self-entitlement. I went 0-fer. this time I applied to every school I told myself I'd actually enjoy going to. that ended up being 12, and interestingly none of my original list were on it. still, i'm worried with the increased applicant pool I could be shut out of most or all of them.

Jan 4, 10 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
ADavin

...So my application status for Yale says that it is still "awaiting portfolio" and "awaiting GRE scores"

However, my USPS tracking number says that my portfolio was delivered to New Haven on December 28th, and I received a receipt from ETS way back in November that my Scores had been sent to YSOA...

Anyone else having the same issue? These are the only 2 things required to be mailed, so I feel like its simply behind in the updating, but it still makes me uneasy. I haven't been able to get through with the office...

Jan 4, 10 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
gs11

This is my round two as well Villian. I feel much better about the process the second time around. Let's hope the results are better.

For ADavin and others, it took YSOA and others about a week to sort through everything last year. I'd imagine the amount of mail they get in the few days before the deadline is ridiculous. Also, I want to say it took a couple weeks for my GRE scores [from September] to show up on their website in January. At the same time, I've found every school I've dealt with when calling to check up on people to be very nice.

And a portfolio story for everyone's amusement. Last week, I had my portfolio printed by a local printer. They have a run minimum of 10, but the price was still good enough and they were GREAT to work with. Anyway, they printed my proof. There were a few typos and I was not happy with the color on some images. I made corrections and gave them the ok to print the final book. However, they used the original file due to error by an employee. Luckily, they were able to re-print immediately, but not before I had to leave for NYC to celebrate NYE. Luckily, I was able to make other arrangements to get the book for Yale sent out in time. It was a stressful few days! Not to mention the all-nighters to get it ready in time. I guess it's getting me ready to head back to school. Any other portfolio printing stories to share to keep us occupied as we finish our apps, and to make me feel like less of disaster. ;)

Jan 4, 10 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
MAMBO

Why the hell are so many people here applying to Yale?

Jan 4, 10 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
paperdesign

I love moeamaya.

why would you NOT apply to yale?

Jan 5, 10 5:46 am  · 
 · 
VuONG

question for penn: does front/ back covers, titles, table of contents count towards the 20 pages?

and also do you know if they will be viewing these images on a pc or will they be printed?

thank you

Jan 5, 10 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
fasttrakstatus

I spoke with Penn recently about the 20 page limitation issue. They said cover, table of contents, and so forth do not count. In other words, they want 20 pages of images/content.

Jan 5, 10 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
VuONG

thanks soo much for that info... it relieved alot of stress... haha

Jan 6, 10 12:28 am  · 
 · 
alonso978

Hello all, I have enjoyed reading these threads, thanks to everyone for so much helpful info.
Any feedback on the portfolio would be appreciated:

http://issuu.com/jefe19/docs/ma.arch_portfolio

Dont hold back, I think I need an overhauled version for the next round of apps. This is my first portolio effort, and whats there is sort of a second draft - fixed some mistakes, etc. Still lots of questions on organization, etc.

Applying to:

Columbia
Penn
Sci-arc
UT Austin
Wash @ St. louis
RISD
Syracuse
SCAD
UIC

Trying to transfer from the BAC with 3 full time semesters worth of credit, 3.4/ 590v 660q

Anyone in a similar position?

Thanks again and good luck all!

Jan 6, 10 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
cew

has anyone else checked their status at ucla? according to the page they have not received any of my materials. there is also a caveat at the top of the page that says some departments don't use the grad admissions page to convey this information. ucla why must you be so confusing.

Jan 6, 10 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

same boat cew

but my app says the last date updated was Dec 14, 2009 and I know that my portfolio and transcripts got there on Dec 15th so...I'm not really worried.

They seem suuuuper disorganized and I'm cool just waiting for them to notify me of any missing documents.

Jan 6, 10 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
chisloopee

cew, i agree, ucla is frustrating as hell. sometimes they are digital, sometimes not, bla bla.

i checked my status, nothing is updated on the site. i called them before christmas break and they said they contact the applicants some time in the middle of january to let them know what is missing or is still needed for their applications.

hope this helps and hopefully we hear something soon

Jan 6, 10 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
fasttrakstatus

I suspect the cumbersome nature of UCLA's application process is due to the fact that it is a California state school, which just makes things more complicated. Maybe.

I, too was anxious about my UCLA status, but after talking to them on the phone they told me that it will take some time before all of the applications, portfolios and so forth are organized and tabulated. Also, an admissions rep from Yale told me today they had over 1000 applicants.

Jan 6, 10 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
cew

the uc berkeley application process was pretty straightforward, so i'm not sure that is a state school thing. maybe just an LA thing, hah (norcal native).

Jan 6, 10 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
VuONG

ucla is just a little behind the times in the app process

i think all schools should streamline the app processs though like med and law

and have a uniform application and you can just click and send to multiple schools

Jan 7, 10 7:18 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

I've got the M.Arch,

Believe me its not life changing, the dole is still the same amount.

Derek

Jan 7, 10 7:34 am  · 
 · 
hw10

Assuming there are 25 unique users commenting on each of the (currently) six pages of this thread, there should be roughly 150 users... and of those, roughly 10 users posted GRE scores above 1200; that's less than 1.5pct of the sample population here on Archinect. Assuming the same amount of posters (who didn't post their scores) had scores above 1200 as those who posted, that's roughly above 3pct of this sample population... according to these stats, anyone with a score above 1200 on the GRE should have done very well.

I hear a lot about GPA which is my Achilles Heel; my GPA is so abysmal, it's in the abyss of an unexplored Pacific Ocean ridge you can't even find. So, anyone applying to grad school will most likely have a better GPA than I do; still I applied to grad school because I have a decent portfolio, and I managed to get very good to excellent recommendations (I'm assuming), and managed to get above the 1200 GRE cut offs.

Jan 7, 10 11:27 am  · 
 · 
hw10

roughly 10pct...

Jan 7, 10 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Smile of Fury

hw10,

Your estimates for those above 1200 are closer to 6%/12%, but from what I've read on this forum, the 1.5%-3% accurately describes the weight of the GRE on an M. Arch application. I too have a low GPA and a high GRE, so I'm hoping it helps.

I think if, over the course of you portfolio, SoP and LoRs, you can make a strong case for why you'll be a good fit at the program, you still have a good chance, even with one blemish in your app like a low GPA or GRE or whatever.

Can't find the link anymore, but I have a PDF of GRE scores broken down by graduate fields. PM me if you want me to send it to you.

Jan 7, 10 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Smile of Fury

Blurb.com report/portfolio story:

Finished, uploaded and ordered my portfolio on Monday, the 28th. On Tuesday I noticed the page numbers had somehow gotten out of order, so I corrected them and ordered again. Blurb predicted delivery dates to be 8th and 9th. On Tuesday (5th) I received the second, correct, order that I had placed. Entire portfolio was way too dark. Lost a lot of vibrancy and detail. Re-created the whole thing in InDesign Tuesday night and went to a local printer on Wednesday. Some of the images still came out too dark, leading me to believe the crappy printing wasn't entirely blurb's fault. Other images were much better at the printer though. I had brought my computer along, so I was able to lighten the dark images and give them the new JPGs with a thumb drive. Final copy came out satisfactory so I drove straight to one of my schools and turned it in. Just got notification that my first order will arrive later today. (I'm in DC. Second order, first to arrive, shipped from Washington state. First order, arriving later, shipped from Missouri.)

Also, I had ordered softcover from blurb and there is a slight indentation on the left side. It's basically a scoring mark so the cover opens along that mark and doesn't pull against the binding. In BookSmart all my text was outside of their purple "danger zone" but some of my text was still affected.

Overall I'd probably still order with blurb in the future now that I have some experience with how the product will come out. Although, the local printer definitely will be my first choice.

So...apps are done, what now? I think I need a drink.

Jan 7, 10 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Kim607

I'm sorry but I don't think looking at this thread gives any indication about what percentage of applicants score above 1200 on the GREs.
If you look at schools like GSD and GSAPP I bet you find that 95% of applicants score above 1200.

I think the portfolio, letters of recommendation and personal statements count much more toward admission than GRE scores. A poor GPA should really only hurt you in you are applying right from your undergrad. I've been out of school for almost 5 years, I had a decent GPA (3.5) but feel like its some what not applicable due to the professional experience I've gained.

Jan 7, 10 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
gs11

I don't think most of these schools care at all about professional experience unless you've worked for a name [ie - oma] or for a professor from that school. Just my 2c worth on your comments kim607.

Jan 7, 10 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
alexstitt

gs11, that's laughable

Jan 7, 10 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Kim607

Oh really... I should really go into my application and delete out my LEED project experiences, my PE license, my experience developing construction drawings and specifications, bidding construction projects, site design, design of waste water and drainage systems ...

surely graduate schools in architecture won't care at all about that professional experience ... the gpa I earned when I was in school 5-9 years ago is much more important

that is laughable

Jan 7, 10 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
MAMBO

"anyone with a score above 1200 on the GRE should have done very well."

1200 is not "very well", that's more like 1400

Jan 7, 10 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
gs11

Kim607--
By no means, were my comments to diminish your professional accomplishments. You clearly have many to show for your time in practice. I would NEVER suggest that you should delete that portion of your professional life in your application.

Similarly, I am a professional returning to graduate school who is EXTREMELY thankful for what I have learned in practice. I proudly have my professional work in my portfolio, and would not be the same designer that I am without those experiences.

That being said, I think, due to the conversations that I have had, that there is much less emphasis placed on professional accomplishments in the admissions process. This is not a blanket statement that applies everywhere, but the more academically minded schools definitely care more about your time in academia than your time working. I think we are kidding ourselves that our professional experience alone will get us into an Ivy league school.

Should it be this way? No, but it is.

Jan 7, 10 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Photoshopper

I have a question for people who are applying UPENN or the students in MARCH I program.

I am trying to fill out the pre-request sheet. UPENN has 5 pre-request courses.
I have a hard time to find an architecture history course online. Does any recommend any class I can take now?

And, there is a requirement for "Studio Design". How did you guys take to fulfill it? I asked the admission office. It seems like I have to 2 courses of "studio design". And, it is not equal to Summer Intensive Studio.

If anyone is in the program right now, maybe you can share your experience.

Thanks!

Jan 7, 10 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
bartender

skyoceanwalker - I was told by Penn admissions that if you are admitted but lacking the 2 design studios, you may be required to take the Summer Prep Studio. I wonder why we have differing information.

Jan 7, 10 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
Photoshopper

bartender, thanks! maybe i was not clear with it. I asked them if summer prep studio can fulfill the requirement. They didn't directly answer me.

Jan 7, 10 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

skyoceanwalker, you can try something like this:

http://www4.uwm.edu/SARUP/architecture/onlineminor.html

I took Arch 300 this past semester, though I was a student there, so I still went to in-person lectures, quizzes and assignments were all online.

The whole 100% online course thing is new here this spring, no clue how it works, but you can ask.

Jan 7, 10 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
masses

This forum has been rather helpful for me, yet I've remained silent. I feel it's been useful for me to see others' portfolios, so I think it's time for me to post mine.

http://issuu.com/cehearn/docs/designportfolio

Any and all comments would be helpful, even though I've already sent my portfolios out.

I just got back from visiting Columbia, Penn, GSD, and MIT. Unfortunately for me, classes aren't in session right now, but it was nice to see the the campus' and studio spaces.

I hope for the best for all of us!

Jan 7, 10 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Raviolo

Looks great, ceh. I like your use of black backgrounds. Did you have any trouble printing it (getting it all to be truly pure black)?

Jan 7, 10 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: