Archinect
anchor

2010 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Sbeth85

Just submitted GSAPP and UCLA! What a relief! Who else just finished today?

2 more left to go: Rice and Penn.

Dec 15, 09 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
alexstitt

im done with gsapp, ucla, mit, gsd....and then maryland + berkeley in the next two days. then another round in early/mid january. ready for this to be done.

Dec 15, 09 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
andimdone

UCLA and GSAPP done and confirmed as deliverd by FEDEX!

Waaaahooo! Hello winter Holidays!

Dec 15, 09 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Photoshopper

Anyone received confirmed email from gsapp? I submitted earlier I got payment received page. But, not an email.
Thanks!

Dec 15, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
bartender

I may also being having some difficulty with recommenders making the deadline, specifically for Yale due on Jan. 2. Anyone know whether they are flexible as well?

Dec 15, 09 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
adrasteia

Crap... I assumed that UCLA's portfolio deadline was a POSTMARKED BY deadline, but it says received by on the website. I'm praying for some leeway but this seems to be not the case according to Sbeth85's post.

Dec 15, 09 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
jiveonmyness

i do believe that only columbias was a postmark...

Dec 15, 09 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, I just finished my portfolio and uploaded it to Blurb... If this doesn't get me into grad school, then nothing will.

In the meantime, I feel like I've offloaded a 50-pound albatross from around my neck.

Dec 15, 09 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
z.g.a.

post it for us!

Dec 16, 09 12:27 am  · 
 · 
VuONG

ZGA - the links don't work

UCLA done....

went to the department office today to drop off the shit

so many yellow envelopes... LOL

so what i hear from the faculity

last year around 600 apps applied. accepted 150.

good luck ya...

CAL, Michigan, PENN, Princeton, RISD awaits...

Dec 16, 09 3:57 am  · 
 · 
alexstitt

150 out of 600? yiiiikes. 600 will probably increase to 700 this year because of the economy... and 150 seems like alot to let in already. oh well. out of my hands at this point.

Dec 16, 09 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Congratulations to those who have submitted!

I'll be back to this thread in four months...

Applied to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Princeton, Penn, UCLA, UC Berkeley, Cornell, UVa.

Dec 16, 09 9:11 am  · 
 · 
khmay

i second that, goodluck. i applied ucla, mit, yale, umich, gsd. i suppose since i love checking out everyone's portfolio i should post mine.
portfolioz

Dec 16, 09 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Cvett

Smart move loremipsum, removing yourself from all the stress and craziness that will ensue, I think I may follow your lead. Congrats to all who have finished and best of luck. Now I need to become like you all and finish my portfolio!

Dec 16, 09 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

And of course, an hour after I upload the portfolio to Blurb, I notice a minor formatting error on one page. [bangs head on wall]

Anyway, here it is.

Dec 16, 09 10:55 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

oooh LiG - the UC admissions committee will probably like your metro map! anyways, hope we have the chance to meet each other next year! :D

Dec 16, 09 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Smile of Fury

This link goes to a GPA v LSAT graph of Georgetown Law School applicants. If you click on any of the data points it takes you to a more complete profile of the person that generated that point. The website, lawschoolnumbers, has every school.

Anyone have the web acumen to get something like this started for architecture? (yes, I am volunteering to let YOU do the work) Understand GPA v GRE is not the most important thing in our field, but I know a lot of people are always looking for this kind of info. Plus, our profiles could list our CVs, links to ports, all that good stuff.

Or...maybe it's too late and once we are all accepted somewhere, we, 2010 Commiseraters, won't care about the insecurities of the class of 2011 applicants.

http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Dec 16, 09 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Kim607

Thanks for those who posted their portfolios! Great work!

I'm applying this year for M.Arch and submitted my portfolio to GSAPP yesterday. (No arch background) I know that a lot of people have an undergraduate background in architecture but it seems like a lot of the portfolios are all strictly computer/ CAD generated.

This is the portfolio description for GSAPP:

MASTER OF ARCHITECTURE - All applicants must submit a portfolio containing reproductions of original drawings, prints, graphic design, or sculpture.

My portfolio consisted of graphite, colored pencil, photography, ink washes, watercolor, some 3d modeling, sculpture and graphic work.

Any thoughts on this?

Dec 16, 09 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
alexstitt

I have an arch background. Most my stuff is computer-generate. this is mostly a product of my undergraduate and the arch profession. I feel like the analog techniques you mention are very beautiful and that the committees favor them for sure. but there's nothing I, or alot of other archies I assume, can do about it.

Dec 16, 09 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

hi does anyone know deadline time for UC Berkeley?
i know it's due 17th but can't find what time..

Dec 16, 09 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
alexstitt

hopefully midnight tomorrow night, because Im just starting my statements now

Dec 16, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
VuONG

seems like its hustlin' time.

Threads gone dead... lol i still dont understand why apps are due around christmas.. seems stupid... lol

princeton or yale? anyone?

Dec 17, 09 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Pult

I'm rather surprised how relatively quiet this thread has been. It gives me hope that the applicant pool has decreased proportionally this year, if we assume a symmetric relationship between Archinet M.Arch commiseration topic posters and total applicants.

In any case, I'm well underway through the submission process and wanted to wish you all good luck. It will be a rather relaxing wait until April, after all the tension and anxiety of the previous months.

Here's to getting into our top choices!

Dec 18, 09 2:36 am  · 
 · 
MAMBO

Pult, personally I don't think there's any statistically significant correlation between number of active Archinect posters and number of total applicants, but that's just my intuition and I could be wrong. Probably a better thing to do would be to compare the activity on Archinect this year to the activity previous years. That's probably a more reliable indicator, if anything.

Online discussion revolving around architecture school, from my experience, seems to be dwarfed by the amount of activity revolving around law school or med school. Just take a look at the activity on this board, for instance: Top Law Schools.

Dec 18, 09 9:26 am  · 
 · 
MAMBO

*By activity on Archinect, I mean by posters who are predominantly posting material mainly relating to architecture school. Of course, there are flaws with this, as well, including the case where general online activity has risen for some reason (perhaps due to more awareness of the site) without a corresponding increase in applicants. However, I think that attempting to infer y by comparing activity on x between different periods of time is nonetheless still more reliable than attempting to infer y simply by making a judgment on x in a single period of time.

Dec 18, 09 9:33 am  · 
 · 
alexstitt

dont be misled: this will be a record year for applicants. expect near a 40% increase in applicant pools from pre-recession numbers.

but on a completely unrelated topic, yes, it is weirdly quite in this forum.

Dec 18, 09 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Kim607

I attended the gsapp open house in november, over 100+ people showed up, they said that was double what came last year. hence I think the # of applicants will be significantly higher this year.

i don't think anyone should be discouraged by this. i gotta believe that this also means there are double the amount of completely unqualified people applying. i think its important to let your application and portfolio speak for itself, you can't really control much beyond that.

Dec 18, 09 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
fasttrakstatus

it's probably quiet because everyone is glued to their laptops finishing their portfolios and personal statements. i know i am.

Dec 18, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
MountainBoy

Any Berkeley applicants receive a link to the Architecture Candidate Registration web page yet?

Dec 18, 09 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

The University of Minnesota open house was pretty full and so was SAIC's but WashU's was a surprisingly small number. Maybe the people who have waited until now to apply (after working etc) will be concentrating on coastal schools?

Were are all the people talking about how happy they are to have their Dec 15 deadline apps done? All mine are after Jan 10 so I've got a lot to do...

Dec 18, 09 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
gs11

I heard UIC and UMich's Open House numbers were down too, BUT heard also that MIT's were way up. I don't know that we can really say its indicative of anything among the different schools. If anything, the Midwestern schools are a little more difficult to visit while you can hit the East Coast a little easier. You could hit GSD and MIT in a day if you really wanted to. I have a feeling the applications will be way UP across the board.

imsleepy -- I'm right there with ya on the January deadlines creeping up on us. It all starts with Yale on the 2nd! Lot's more to do. It's going to be a great xmas!

Dec 18, 09 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

pretty sure all the numbers are up this year, i cant imagine anything but a shitstorm of applicants. i think using archinect to measure # of applicants is appropriate. I'd imagine it's what--initially-- brings most users to this website.

what yall dudes think about the portfolio i posted up there ^^ ? cause really, i failed the gre-- have a great resume/record/recommenders-- but haven't had anyone put the portfolio into perspective. sorry it's a little small; free flickr has a 1024px limit

Dec 18, 09 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

mountainboy, i got one tonight around 5:00 PM today, Pacific time.

Dec 19, 09 3:16 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

YamK, your resume is fucking bad assery.

Dec 19, 09 3:20 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I mean, I want to have sex with it.

Dec 19, 09 3:20 am  · 
 · 
hankd

his resume is going for a creative approach, but tbh, id be turned off by this gimmick if i were an adcomm. it's too busy and too difficult to read for the few mins adcomms are expected to spend on each ptf. its just a resume, why go out of your way to embellish it with superficial nonsense? that's just me tho - someone who is into this (like orochi) will have different opinions.

Dec 19, 09 9:16 am  · 
 · 
alexstitt

yamk, that portfolio looks pretty good. I'm not a personal fan of the beveled edges and the tabs at the top. Also, a bit too much going on for my preference. but it does seem like you have a lot of diagrammatic/informed thought processes, which at the end of the day is what they're going to want to see. And some of those renderings are pretty badass. not in the "shiny maya-driven" kind of badass, but in the super informed and tectonic (ie architectural) kind of badass. goodluck!

Dec 19, 09 10:44 am  · 
 · 
khmay

yeah that's the resume in the portfolio which i thought helped explain when/why the projects were done. the actual resume is standard lame.
thanks for looking!

Dec 19, 09 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Well the reason I liked the format of his resume was because of the similarity between project management and scheduling.

He's showing exactly when all of his experience and skills were utilized in business format familiar to managers and executives. If this was an actual business situation dealing with contracts and proposals, one could hypothesize what kind of budget was going on here.

Lots of people put down their skills on non-traditional resume formats... that, however, usually means nothing because the person reading it has little to no absolute idea how long someone has or hasn't been using a particular software.

Dec 19, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
keopi

yamk how long did you work on your portfolio?
i'd say you have nothing to worry about whatsoever. most folios i see on here are mediocre at best, yours was great.
print it go home get off this discussion board party!

Dec 19, 09 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

i worked on it on and off for a few months (mostly because, like everyone, I hated everything and wanted to recreate graphics/diagrams), then for a few weeks straight -a few hours a day. i sent in my apps early november because i moved out of the country.

Dec 19, 09 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Hirano.Artitecture

Hi, I've just found this site and registered to participate in this forum.
I'm a graduate student in Japan and I applied for professional degree program at GSD, Princeton, GSAPP, MIT and UCLA.

Talking about portfolio, I spent a month on it. I've made portfolios for three times and already got enough material, so I had no difficulty designing, and printing; but it took so much time to translate my concept into English!

By the way, I've already read some discussions about what is the most successful length of portfolios and found many people said that you should make them short as possible as you can, about 20-30 pages are good. However, I think it's not the problem of how many pages does your portfolio has. For me, many people seem to cram too much information on one page and that keeps readers from grasp your ideas instantly. I think that the ideal portfolio is a kind of thing that enables readers to grasp your concept by flickering through it. So I put only one material, or one aspect of my works on one page. Finally my portfolio became about 150 pages long, which is unusual length comparing with standard of this forum. But I believe readers can easily understand my ideas of my works by just flickering through it in short time.
What do you think about my thought?

Oh, I have some of my works uploaded on Flickr, so take a look at it.
Here

Dec 20, 09 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Hirano.Artitecture

Oh, sorry for my English. It's terrible.

Dec 20, 09 11:39 am  · 
 · 
alexstitt

welp, i need to stop looking at portfolios like that. not helping my confidence level.

its great by the way Hirano. beautiful work

Dec 20, 09 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

hirano,
it doesn't matter you have 150 pages or 30 pages. As long as your portfolio effectively convey who you are and your talent, it's all good. I think those schools you're applying prefer portfolio to be thinner than 1.5 inches, or 2 inches, (3.81 - 5.08 cm) but I don't think they'll reject you for having thicker portfolio.

your portfolio is, indeed, the best port. I've seen. It looks even better than my friends' who got into GSD AP last year.

On the other hand, it makes me very depressing...

Dec 20, 09 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

^^ i agree. obviously pick your top projects and do not put more than 8 projects-but the actual length should be determined by how much content is needed for explanation

Dec 20, 09 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
archdeceiver

hirano, you're applying for advanced placement, right?

Dec 21, 09 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
zoon

hey,
M.Arch. ll applicant here, new archinector, i've had incredible help in my application process just from reading your posts people, so thanks. :)
ok i've a UPENN related question, they require the ports as soft copies not printed and binded, which i find weird, do u think i'd damage my application package if i include a hard copy with the cd i'm sending them? work is much clearer printed. another q, this might sound stupid but if the requirement is 20 pages that should obviosly not include title and contents right? my printed version is 86 pages (43 front and back), and i am finding it very hard to cut back on the number because i believe each page should show one drawing or one image only not more (sort of like yours hirano, awesome work by the way :) ). i am just wondering if bending these strict rules would be looked down at.. but 20 pages?! seriously!??
thanks and good luck all
z

Dec 21, 09 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
fasttrakstatus

that's probably a question for Penn. they're usually pretty helpful with these sorts of issues.

Dec 21, 09 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Well, my shit's done and sent off. Good luck to everyone wrapping up!

Now I need to spend the rest of break honing my Rhino skills. Anyone have suggestions for tutorials or rendering resources?

Dec 21, 09 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: