Archinect
anchor

2010 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Living in Gin

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to share a very weird letter I got from the University of Kentucky, after many weeks of waiting for a decision from them:

Dear Living in Gin*:

The School of Architecture upon review of all applications to our 3+ graduate program has determined that we did not receive the minimum number of qualified applicants to form a class. Therefore we will not be able to accept you into our graduate program.

We are sorry for the delay of this notification. We have been exploring all options to field a class, but have now exhausted all viable alternatives.

We wish you the best in your studies.

Sincerely,

David Biagi
Director
School of Architecture
College of Design
University of Kentucky

* not my real name

Very odd, especially in this economic climate... Every other school seems to have had applicants bursting down their doors. Good thing I'm headed to DAAP and wasn't hanging my hopes on going to UK, though.

So, in the interest of closure, here's my final tally:

OSU: Accepted + $
Cincinnati: Accepted + AP + $$
Oregon: Accepted
CCNY: Accepted
GSD: Rejected
Kentucky: WTF?

For those of you headed to Cincinnati, see you in September!

May 22, 10 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
de Architectura

Wow! This is embarrassing. So ... they couldn't get 12 people? That can't be right. For the 3-year M.Arch I? I'm clearly not getting it ... Isn't Michael Speaks the dean?

May 24, 10 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
word2bird

just got this email a few minutes ago...

Our faculty will be making final decisions on the wait-listed applicants very soon. We wanted to find out if you were still interested in attending UCLA. Please reply to let us know if you are still interested in attending the Master of Architecture I program starting Fall 2010.

Thank you.

Admissions Office
Architecture & Urban Design
UCLA
so strange! i already told them when they notified me i was on the waiting list that i'd be attending berkeley. i wonder if anyone has held out this long and would be willing to start a program with such short notice.

Jun 17, 10 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

LIG: I'm a UK graduate... twas at a party a couple weeks ago and heard from some kids in the m.arch program now that Speaks is trying to discontinue the 3 year program altogether to limit the applicants to only those who already have experience in architecture. this might be because there is such an extraordinary disconnect right now between what the first year of the 3 year program teaches and what other graduate studios do (ie, the first year is trying to do all the modernist architecture and actual buildings and drawing/structures/materials groundwork and such while the later years focus very heavily on maya/rhino and visualization and are often interdisciplinary or inter-class group projects) not sure why or whats up, but that might be a reason for this.

Jun 18, 10 1:27 am  · 
 · 

LIG: I'm a UK graduate... twas at a party a couple weeks ago and heard from some kids in the m.arch program now that Speaks is trying to discontinue the 3 year program altogether to limit the applicants to only those who already have experience in architecture. this might be because there is such an extraordinary disconnect right now between what the first year of the 3 year program teaches and what other graduate studios do (ie, the first year is trying to do all the modernist architecture and actual buildings and drawing/structures/materials groundwork and such while the later years focus very heavily on maya/rhino and visualization and are often interdisciplinary or inter-class group projects) not sure why or whats up, but that might be a reason for this.

Jun 18, 10 1:28 am  · 
 · 
PandaEyes

Just got in to SCI-Arc off the waitlist!

Jun 19, 10 4:58 am  · 
 · 
vasqo

Check this... About "Rejection letters"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127136769

Aug 19, 10 2:57 am  · 
 · 
'Maximus

About a month ago I checked every single school I applied to and they were almost all missing one or more recommendation letters, and all from different professors.
In fact, Minnesota hadn't received any of my letters at all and the director of admissions asked for them to be emailed to him directly.
I also noticed that a lot more schools are requiring electronic recommendation letters, so if you have professors that refuse to do those (like one of mine) things can get really messy.

It seems like a lot gets lost between the graduate colleges of the universities and the architecture departments. At least all my portfolios got there in time...

Sep 16, 10 8:14 am  · 
 · 

bump

Mar 21, 12 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: