Archinect
anchor

sanaa

does anyone have experience working for them? or a mailing address for their office (applications)?

please email me privately if you dont want to post it.

thanks

Apr 10, 09 11:46 pm
chaos3WA

they don't pay. i hope you have a trust fund.

Apr 11, 09 12:23 am  · 
 · 

nope. livin in tokyo's cheap, right?

Apr 11, 09 12:37 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ryan, you've said that twice i think, but i met two people that did get paid, a little, and not on regular occaisions...

but they did get paid, and both enjoyed working there. what's the beef?

Apr 11, 09 1:34 am  · 
 · 
LucasGray
sanaa's contact

SANAA
7-A, 2-2-35, Higashi-Shinagawa
Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo
140-0002 - Japan
03 3450 1780
[email protected]

They have a very interesting office. I visited it last summer. Its kind of hectic though. Last time I heard they weren't hiring though.

Apr 11, 09 7:21 am  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

holz, there's no specific beef. i know a number of people who have worked there and they all got fired at the 3 month mark because they have to start paying you if you stay more than 3 months.

while i think the practice of not paying is kind of despicable, i am sure that if you ignore the moral qualms and also have independent funding, it could be a great experience. you'd learn a lot about design and it might open big doors down the road...

Apr 11, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

a legendary contributor to this site who has disappeared was going to work there last time we chatted.

Apr 11, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

maybe they are cannibals?

Apr 11, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
skeez

You really need to stand out in those 3 months for them to take you on as a regular paid employee. Their Western project teams work odd hours in order to be in sync with the clients in Europe and the US. I hear the office is hectic but a great experience. If I could afford to work for free I would totally do it.

also... you're not allowed to leave the office before Sejima. its possible grounds for termination.

Apr 11, 09 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
sponge

^ You're kidding me right. I mean I love their work,,, but that's insanity. So what if you're on the Western project team and Sejima isn't. Do you still have to wait till Sejima leaves to get some sleep?

Apr 11, 09 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
skeez

I'm not sure of the details... but i think people come in in the afternoon (between 1-3 maybe?) and work 12 hours at the least. No one wants to be the first to leave and finding a colleague sleeping is not uncommon.

Part of it has to do with Japanese culture and the intensity of their work ethic, but also 'starchitecture' culture and the fact that the 20-30 year old recent grad interns endure the working conditions so that they can put sanaa on their resumes and portfolios.

Apr 11, 09 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
sponge

So one could be fired from a job they're not paid to do for leaving "early". Fascinating.

I think the trick is to work for a starchitect before they're actually a starchitect.

Although I could imagine this being a cultural manifestation as you suggested as well. A friend of mine interned for a large corporation there and had to catch on to things like--senior staff leave the elevator before junior staff. As a woman I think she was accustomed to thinking that she would enter and leave first if with a group of men.

Apr 11, 09 11:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: