Archinect
anchor

experience with dc firms

asd

has anyone worked at a dc firm that they'd recommend? i'm looking for an office interested in bim, sustainability, programming (gc, rhino, etc), research, big ideas/concepts.

i've just completed idp, worked at small & medium firms; and would like to try a large one. som comes to mind, but their dc office doesn't seem to be the one producing the major projects.

i know other threads have been started about dc firms, but i'm more interested in first-hand feedback if possible. thanks!

Apr 6, 09 9:28 pm
med.

There are a lot of firms in DC that fit that criteria, but I'm almost positive that almost none are hiring...

Apr 6, 09 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
asd

thanks, and i know it's going to be extremely difficult given the circumstances.

could you elaborate a little bit on the firms that have, in addition to the above, good firm culture, keen on professional development, collaborative teams, interested in archi-theory but can have a beer on fridays :)

Apr 7, 09 9:18 am  · 
 · 
l3wis
www.InsideArch.com
Apr 7, 09 9:49 am  · 
 · 
asd

good one. i realize i may be asking for the impossible but i'm just trying to see if i could gather any additional info, in addition to the regular firm website perusal.

i'm looking for a place where i can really stay for a couple of years to work on some substantial projects; it's a lot easier to pick up an internship that expires in a couple of mths.

Apr 7, 09 10:12 am  · 
 · 
asd

previous link didn't work, and i just stumbled onto this one: http://www.insidearch.org

i'd say it's worth taking a glance at since it has a few "comments" on each firm.

May 18, 09 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
asd

Anyone know any other large firms in DC besides these, that do medium to large scale work? Thanks.

Smith Group
HDR
Perkins + Will
SOM
HKS PC
RTKL
Kling Stubbins
Heery
HOK
Ehrenkrantz Eckstut & Kuhn Architects
Ewing Cole
Little
Gensler
ZIMMER GUNSUL FRASCA ARCHITECTS
VOA
EYP
devrouax + purnell architects
Shalom Barnes Associates
Perkins Eastman
QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS
Studios Architecture
Hickok Cole
CORE
Division1
Cunningham | Quill Architects PLLC
Geier Brown Renfrow Architects
Schick Goldstein Architects
Sorg Architects
Bonstra Haresign Architects
Shinberg.Levinas Architectural Design

Jun 5, 09 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
halfwindsor

MS&R has an office in the DC area, they do some interesting adaptive reuse projects

http://www.msrltd.com/

Jun 5, 09 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

seems like most of them are larger corporate-type firms

Jun 5, 09 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
asd

thanks for the suggestion halfwindsor. ms&r seems like an awesome firm!

sameolddoctor i'm open to suggestions, and i am interested in non-corporate ones too, so long as they're working on a medium to large scale.

thanks.

Jun 5, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

asd - just letting you know, I've been unemployed in the DC area for over 3 months now.

Jun 6, 09 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
asd

well i don't know if it's any better elsewhere selophane... i just gotta do what i can on my end, and keep optimistic.

btw, do you send all that portfolio stuff on your blog to potential employers? if you do, i'd say you need to edit it and just show your A,K,Q,J and not the whole deck - you want to leave something to the imagination. i've done some graphic work that i've gotten recognition for but i wouldn't bother putting it in my architectural portfolio cause it's not really my expertise.

also you may want to get that leed ap before you get licensed. i don't think anybody really cares if you you're licensed with our level of experience (3yrs). it's all about leveraging the little you have, based on what i've seen with the marketing efforts at various offices.

Jun 7, 09 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

asd - i actually just send a 4 page pdf sample of architecture work and provide a link to my blog. When i go to an interview (if i can get one) i bring my paper portfolio which i as all architecture except for one page of graphic work at the end.

Well, LEED i cannot do untill the new test starts and i'll be done wiht my lcesning exams in july. I figured i would go for licensing first so i can start working on my own.

Jun 7, 09 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

ms&r just laid of a bunch of folks at their MPLS HQ. Doubt that their DC office will be hiring anytime soon.

Jun 8, 09 10:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: