Archinect
anchor

Self-Service Technology in a Hotel (thesis question)

lacus008

Hi Guys! Please help me I'm working on my thesis about the use of SELF-SERVICE TECHNOLOGY in the hospitality industry.

Introduction:

Self service technology is one of the latest trends now in the hotel industry. It can help automate routine interactions between hospitality business and guests. It can also be a source of convenience and efficiency to both the guests and business.

My question is:
Staying in the HOTEL as a GUEST, what can you say or what is the used of SELF SERVICE TECHNOLOGY?

Nov 27, 13 9:56 am
Non Sequitur

How is this related to architecture?

Nov 27, 13 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Self service technology in a htoel is stupid fucking idea.  Hotel is the essence of the hosptialty industry and service is clearly key to this.  Hotel offering self srvice is punting on it's responsibility.  it's not a hotel, just a big box full of smaller boxes.

Until robots start checking into hotls, this is one tech idera that's going nowhere.

Nov 27, 13 10:25 am  · 
 · 

How about self-service in the hospital industry?

Nov 27, 13 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
24arches

Isn't the point of a thesis for you to actually do the research? Besides, you don't have an answer because it's a poor question to begin with. 

Nov 28, 13 9:05 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

What, no "self-service" jokes? You guys are slipping.

Nov 28, 13 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

^ Sorry, I was busy.

Nov 28, 13 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i find self-service check-in an excellent idea

http://www.hotelchatter.com/tag/Self-Service%20Hotels

but on the other hand, it implies less employees...less of a service industry...

Nov 28, 13 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

you can also have an automated menu board, order food that way.

Nov 28, 13 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Aside from unemploying people and enhancing corporate profits, self-service destroys community and perpetuates every-man-for himself division of society. 

Nov 28, 13 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

personally, i prefer BnB sort of places. Typically cheaper, small business owned (the home owners)...and usually they're more helpful with providing information about the area. and, depending on the setup, they're typically self service. You make up your own bed!

Nov 28, 13 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

The hotel industry is amazingly layered and complex. You first must rephrase your question to address which segment(s) of the hotel industry would benefit from (or be receptive to) enhanced self-service technology.

5-star properties (such as The Four Seasons hotel chain or The Ritz Carlton) cater to a clientele who want to be pampered - their customers want luxury and everything done for them by hotel staff - these customers are willing to pay high daily rates for that service.

Lower end properties (such as Holiday Inn Express and Motel Six) compete fundamentally on price and seek to provide a decent room but few additional services at the lowest possible daily rate.

My sense is that 'self-service technology' offers greater potential for cost savings and customer acceptance at the lower end of the market, where the customer is willing to exchange their own efforts for lower prices. As always, the rich (and spoiled) will continue to pay someone to pamper them and cater to their every whim.

Nov 29, 13 12:38 am  · 
 · 
24arches

Even the cheapest hotels will provide customer service. Self-service might flow with the online-shopping generation where transactions are fairly anonymous but even then, many seek to call a person for resolution and console when things go wrong. Even in emails and online chats, there's still the old sign-off message or a name associated to an otherwise entirely virtual conversant. 

The machine isn't perfect nor does it feel empathy towards anyone in particular. Low price is omitting luxuries and pampering but seldom do you see a self-check machine at the front desk. The only time I've seen one was at a cheaper hotel in Vegas and even then, most people still lined up (years ago though). Maybe it's the distrust of machines? Inoperability? Or just that speaking to a real person is reassuring. There's a reason why front-desk staff is still around--find out why.

It's best to define what self-service is lest we all go into different dystopian visions of robot overlords and irate customers staring at screens.

Nov 29, 13 3:14 am  · 
 · 

I still think it's a shit idea to combine tech & hospitality but you might find the new bloc hotel project at gatwick to be interesting:  check in, checkout, lights, tv, booking, everything available via your smartphon.

Dec 3, 13 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: