Archinect
anchor

Good News?

Cool Foot Luke

Enough of the bad news, and I know there is lots of it. Does anybody have any good news about the current state of the Architecture Industry. New Projects? Projects coming off of hold? Promotion? Hiring? Etc. Any silver linings out there?

Apr 6, 09 3:12 pm
gardenx

The only good news is that we can all still afford our internet access.

Apr 6, 09 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

There's nobody left to layoff.

Apr 6, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

less commuters on the road

Apr 6, 09 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I'm getting more work done since I'm not getting interrupted as much.

Apr 6, 09 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
med.

:: Crickets chirping ::

Apr 6, 09 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

the lady at the bakery this morning undercharged my coffee by 30 cents. that was pretty good news.

Apr 6, 09 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my cat chased her tail. that was pretty good.

Apr 6, 09 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Cool Foot Luke
Hasselhoff

After 8 months of the hobo life I started working at a small local firm. I've worked about 75 hours since last Monday because we've been so busy. We are renovating 18 low income housing units, the 2 admin buildings and 500+ kitchens in some low income, high rise housing. Stimulus money. We may get some more as well. Also may be doing a police station, a borough hall, and a school. All fairly small projects, in my fairly small town. But I'm working and learning. Feeling stupid cause I didn't learn anything in Japan, so it seems, but still working nonetheless. My contract expires in a week, but I may get kept on if the work keeps coming. Would rather be in a town with more people my age (not 0-18 and 45+). But it's work for now.

Apr 6, 09 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

that's the kind of news I love to hear. congratulations, Hasselhoff

Apr 6, 09 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

I graduate in four weeks, wait is that good or bad news?

Apr 6, 09 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

holz didn't get fired today. that makes good news, i guess...

Apr 6, 09 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Awesome, sleepy!

Awesome, holz!

Awesome, Hasselfoff!

Awesome, Vado!

Awesome, phuyake!

Awesome, treekiller!

Apr 7, 09 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Morey

I think things will get better. Once I graduated college, it took me a few months to find a job- but I did. My husband is pursuing a mARCH in Texas right now. In the last yr, we got married, my husband changed schools from ASU to UTA, we moved states, and my husband lost his part time job when we moved. However, I am VERY optomistic about the future. Overall, things are bad right now, but things have been bad before.
I really do love this country & I know we can make things work.

Apr 7, 09 11:37 am  · 
 · 
med.

Morey, hopefully when things get better and things come back it will be a whole different ball game.

People need to move on from the 1950s business model.

Apr 7, 09 11:39 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I think my project finally got off the ground after 4 months of the client's potential partners dragging their feet.

Apr 7, 09 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

What's interesting is that there was just as much complaining around here before the economic downturn. Even when times were good, hiring was up and salaries higher than ever before, the complaints were legion:

-licensure requirements
-lousy instructors
-drafting chores
-suburban life
-environmental sins
-bad buildings
-annoying coworkers
-numbskull bosses
-venal developers
-the AIA
-NCARB
-client demands
-engineering inputs
-et cetera, et cetera, et cetera

See? I'm complaining, too.

Will the complaining and negativity ease when the economy finally rebounds and people are back to work?

Apr 7, 09 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
eCoDe

people have been keeping complaining from generations to generations. You want miracle happen this generation?

Apr 7, 09 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

im in holz's boat,, everyday is a new day

Apr 7, 09 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

No, just making a point.

Now, my whining aside... yes, there are things to be happy for.

I got laid off a few weeks ago, then re-hired by my previous employer from years back. Not the most interesting work, but it has a paycheck attached to it and some very good people to work with. I feel very fortunate.

Apr 7, 09 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

Just got my 9th pass letter today!

Apr 7, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Congrat's jitter...as someone who is relatively new to the registered Architect club welcome.

The economy has however kept me from joining the AIA. That's a lot of $$$ for times when employers aren't willing to spend what they used to.

Apr 7, 09 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

to big to fail too big to exist on the 11th around the country, against the banks

Apr 7, 09 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
Apr 7, 09 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
Link
Apr 7, 09 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Way to go, jitter!

Hmm, and where's the good in yours, Antimatter? Forgot how, didn't ya there Johnny Buzzkill...

Apr 7, 09 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Retailers are scrambling to find land in dense urban cores. Thats good news.

suntimes

Apr 8, 09 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

I got my first phone interview in 7 months... but my cellphone got turned off.

I afforded some Skype bullshit... but spent all of my cigarette money.

I'm back out on the street tomorrow... but I'm selling my car for 300 bucks because someone I don't know very well said I can sleep on their floor in DC.

So, talk to you all in like a week... I gotta pack.

Apr 8, 09 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

ouch same here more bad news got let go with 10 other people yesterday in the 4th round of cuts

Apr 9, 09 2:24 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

now is the time for companies to get a steal on lease pricing, apparently.

we've gotten a few calls so things might be turning around, or at least not looking so bleak, fwiw

Apr 9, 09 4:02 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Scratch that. The project I was working on went out for bid. My services are no longer needed. Once again a hobo.

Apr 10, 09 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: