Archinect
anchor

Help identifying a movie from years back - British subject manner

observant

There was a movie, probably late 70s to mid 80s vintage, about a woman from a not so pedigreed background that worked her way into the boudoirs and lives of one or more high ranking British politicos and wreaked havoc.  It was based on a true story because, at the end, when they rolled the credits, they gave a description of what happened to the main characters after the movie's time frame.

I can visualize the actress who had they key role.  She was a long-haired brunette.  She looked a lot like Cindy Crawford (European style) but was not Cindy Crawford.

Any help as to what this movie might have been ... title?

Nov 24, 13 12:32 pm
Janosh

Scandal?  John Hurt.

Nov 24, 13 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

By that standard District 9 is based on true events.

(well to be fair it is allegorical, but still)

Nov 24, 13 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Thank you very much.  "Scandal" it is.  Wow, 1989.  I thought it was earlier.

The poster is the give-away and it was Joanne Whalley (though I don't know anything about her list of accomplishments).  She doesn't look THAT much like Cindy Crawford, but ...

Nov 24, 13 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Ok. My turn....

I saw parts of a 70-80s British comedy that I thought was hilarious. All I remember is there's a white guy, and his poor mother begins to tell him of how he came to be in their family. She shows him a silver spoon he was found with, and he responds with "you mean I'm not Indian?!" And the camera pans across the family.

Any ideas?
Nov 25, 13 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

District 9, great film.

Nov 25, 13 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

sarah, it sounds like you're talking about 'the jerk,' but that's not british and he wasn't indian.

as i recall, animal house ended with a recap of everyone's lives.  also true story.

Nov 25, 13 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
No. Not the jerk. Was that the one with the egg salad sandwiches? Definitely not that. And my movie was set in England. There were black cars and red phone booths.
Nov 25, 13 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I wish I could help.  Films set in the UK tend to depress me, because of the constant gray skies and their accent, so I avoid them, unless it's a Hitchcock or a James Bond 007 film. 

In a couple of days there, I almost got hit by a car for looking the wrong way when crossing the street and then, when boarding the hotel shuttle van to the airport, I thought I was getting into the passenger seat, but ended up behind the steering wheel.

What about "District 9" as mentioned above?

Nov 25, 13 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: