Archinect
anchor

Building as Camera/Frame

mirrored

Hi,

I'm working on a project right now, a small gallery, and I wanted to do some research on buildings as framing devices. Specifically (well sort of) can anyone think of historical precedents of buildings as framing devices. Obviously, any building opening can be considered a frame. But are there precedents in which the outer walls of a building framed/illustrated a sequence of views/composite view. I'm working a bit with Bernard Tschumi's essay "Sequences," which is thought provoking and yet somewhat devoid of examples.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mar 23, 09 12:56 pm
rehiggins

I vaguely remember something about the Golden Gate bridge (or is it another bridge??) having a "pinhole camera" built into the towers that is used to check on the cables, basically it's just a hole placed in the right spot that projects an image onto the wall…worth checking at least

i'm not having much luck finding it with the google yet though…

Mar 23, 09 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Stan Allen might be a good source.

Points + Lines

Mar 23, 09 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

oma bordeaux house has specifically placed small round windows on the upper floor, i remember seeing a nice section drawing of it illustrating the different sightlines (eg one for sitting in wheelchair, standing, sleeping etc)
also vals by zumthor comes to mind, again there are some small openings esp in the "relaxing rooms" and in the healthcare centre on the lower level that capture specific items on the hill opposite.

Mar 23, 09 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

stonehenge, lol.

Mar 23, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

Slow House by Diller Scofidio

Mar 23, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
ihearthepavilion

Gordon Matta Clark comes to mind. More of an installation artist, but applicable in this case.

Mar 23, 09 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

You could also research how architecture actually performs like a camera via Camera Obscura.

Look up Abelardo Morell and other similar artists.

Mar 23, 09 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what about the young-ho chang camera spaces

Mar 23, 09 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

james turrell.

john randolph & bruce tomb (IOOA) did a gallery installation in san francisco (early 90's?) that had sensors placed in the street out front. passing cars triggered solenoids which (as i recall) triggered various 'shutters' & sound generators in the building. pretty cool.

Mar 23, 09 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

richard meier - getty center, etc

steven holl quote about the kiasma building - "a series of overlapping perspectives"

not specific to what you are looking for but definitely related, i highly recommend david hockney's film, a day on the grand canal with the emperor of china

Mar 23, 09 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
fine line

Tonkin Liu's House 1A has a camera Obscura.
link

There's only picture's on their website, but you should be able to find more online.

Mar 23, 09 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Robert Mallet-Stevens Villa at Noailles.

Mar 23, 09 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

what, no mies? resor house collages, etc., his multitude of perspective drawings . . .

Mar 23, 09 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
aml

an arch in the roof of la pedrera frames the sagrada familia church, both by gaudi.

Mar 24, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: