Archinect
anchor

Professional experience for admittance to master of real estate development

Paradox

I'll be getting my BS in Architecture in December and I really want to go to a graduate school for real estate development. I'm searching the schools right now and I see all of them require at least 2 years of full-time professional experience for admission. Right now I only have 6 months of professional experience(construction company) and I'm an intern at a real estate company(part-time) but it is only a 3 month internship. Is not having 2 years of professional experience a total deal breaker or can I still have a chance to be admitted because of my architectural background?

Mar 19, 09 5:26 pm
trace™

Call them.

The one I am applying for (MBA in RE) requires 10 years experience in the profession.

Most business schools will require real world experience.

Mar 19, 09 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
DJ7910

I don't know about all the requirements for professional experience at many of the university's, but it seems to me that most graduate programs do encourage a couple of years of field experience, but isn't always a requirement.

Though, I have to admit it helps to know more about the function of the profession before pursuing grad studies.

I recently completed the Grad Cert in RE Development from Portland State University, which can be rolled in to the MBA at the university. I found the program to be worthwhile and comprehensive. Others you might look at are: ASU, WSU, UoW, Vancouver BC. I was on a team at PSU who competed against these university's on a development contest and they all look to have good programs. We won a couple of years against them though is was very close.

Now is a good time to go after the grad work and wait out the storm for the next year or so and head back in to the mix when everything is on the up swing.

Good luck.

Mar 24, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

having taken advanced degrees in both architecture and business, I would encourage you NOT to sidestep the work experience requirement.

in business-related programs, the most important person in the classroom is not the person standing up at the front. most of your real learning (especially in case-study oriented programs) comes from interaction with your colleagues in the classroom. the more diverse and experienced that group, the more valuable the education.

but, you also must to be able to contribute yourself -- you can't just be an observer. until you actually have about two years of solid, real-world work experience under your belt you really can't contribute any meaningful perspective or seasoned judgment to the discussion.

trust me ... you'll get a lot more out of the program if you don't enter right after undergraduate school.

Mar 24, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

You should have at least 2-3 yrs of work experience.
Wont get as much out of the thing if you go straight.
Def agree w goose here, you learn from yr classmates.
I haven't even started classes but I've already met a handful of future/ current/ almuni from the school. Kinda maniacal how much networking goes on but I like it.

Apr 3, 09 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: