Archinect
anchor

Saskatchewan

le bossman

The Mighty Saskatchewan. Apparently there are jobs there, according to the fake news. Anyone know of any good firms?

Mar 4, 09 4:38 pm
brian buchalski

yeah, good post...i'm curious too.

Mar 4, 09 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

no you're not

Mar 4, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

choose your poison: get paid to drink, get paid to play poker, or get paid to possibly grow weed. see you there.

Mar 4, 09 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

The economies of Saskatchewan and Manitoba haven't slowed, bucking the trend of most other provinces these days (the east coast shows signs of continued growth, too....)

My friend just lost her job at a major bank in Toronto and moved back here to Winnipeg, probably to stay. I know it's just one anecdote, but talking with architects in the city (I'm still a student) they all report there's tons of work. The city is trying to import (construction) workers from other areas of the country because there's so much going on right now.

So it's not all bad. You just have to be able to put up with unbelievably cold weather (and ridiculous winds) and an utter lack of topography. On the plus side, our arts and music scenes are vibrant and accessible, which I think is a huge bonus.

That's all probably too much information, but there you go.

Mar 4, 09 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
gonad

the only good thing about saskatchewan is corner gas.

Mar 5, 09 7:38 am  · 
 · 

I love that show...

Also Alberta is doing pretty good accordign to my sister..

Mar 5, 09 8:20 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

It takes a certain type of person to live in Saskatchewan. Driven through there a few times and it's desolate. North Dakota is booming too, but how many people want to move there? That's what I thought.

On the other hand a little farther west, Alberta has mountains and is actually a quite moderate climate, in parts. Calgary is like a mini-Denver without the bad parts. Snow never sticks around long, but it's only a 2 hour drive to ski in the mountains.

Alberta has slowed down, but mostly because oil & gas has tanked. Places like Ft. McMurray aren't booming like they were with $150 oil and that has trickled down to cities like Calgary and Edmonton. But Alberta is still doing far better than Ontario and to many degrees BC. The province is sitting on a pile of cash and it's only a matter of time before oil prices rise again, and with it the whole economy. A far better place to ride out the economy than somewhere back east.

Mar 5, 09 8:40 am  · 
 · 

Aqua,
Do you live in Calgary?
I have thought about moving out there to be near my sister and nieces...

Mar 5, 09 9:40 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Don't live in Calgary but have family there...Edmonton too. Get up there at least once or twice/year. It's a great city that gets over shadowed by Toronto and Vancouver IMO. (and it's waaay cheaper cost of living.) If things get really bad down here state side Calgary is where I'd probably go north of the border.

One thing to note is that Alberta lives and dies by the oil & gas industry. They haven't diversified their economy like Texas, but on the bright side US freeways aren't deserted and more oil imports come to the US from Alberta than from anywhere else on the planet.

Mar 5, 09 11:46 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

News today: Saskatchewan, Manitoba to weather economic storm: Conference Board

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/11/13/canada-outlook.html

Mar 5, 09 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

News today: Saskatchewan, Manitoba to weather economic storm: Conference Board

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/11/13/canada-outlook.html

Mar 5, 09 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: