Archinect
anchor

define Construction Documents

.dwg

Hi
I'm applying to a job and they asked that experience in Construction Documents is beneficial.

My experience includes mostly Design Development but involved me working on submitted drawing sets. the DD phase was also very short and fast-tracked so it included more details and drawing information than what would normally be in the official DD phase.

when firms say "construction documents", are they looking for something specific from CDs phase or would my type of experience be relevant as well? are they mostly referring to experience that is not just presentations, powerpoint visualizations, renderings, etc?

Mar 3, 09 2:00 pm
drums please, Fab?

construction documents are the documents required for construction

details, coordination with structural and MEP, the full set with lots of numbers and things and notes and stuff

Mar 3, 09 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Just say you did DDs. Essentially the CD phase is the next phase where you begin to develop your drawings more in depth with details. In addition your schedules will be more developed and your set will have more consultant information added. so it's not too far from where your DD set is.

Mar 3, 09 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

probably they want to know if you understand what is going on in here and how much each note costs.

Mar 3, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

what the hell is going on there orhan?

Mar 3, 09 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

i don't know, i am not the one applying.;.))) i could also say i don't want to know. looks like a type V sheet from a muni. basement doesn't look like its got proper foundation. also roof lines must be an important part of the whoopty whoop where it is. call it pedigree?

Mar 3, 09 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

looks like the "Proposed Laundry" will morph after construction. that's a huge laundry room with 11' ceiling heights...

Mar 3, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

DDs and CDs overlap. I've submitted a 50% CD set that is essentially the same as the 100% DD set, with a few minor additions.

wall sections and details are usually what gets developed in the CD phase. this might be the experience they are looking for.

Mar 3, 09 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

The soaring volume of space is great, dammson, but it also features thoughtful daylighting and a dramatic sunken work area...

Mar 3, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Mar 3, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Do they not require students to take ConDocs class anymore?

Mar 3, 09 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

if you knew spec writing and knew your way around contracts i'd be glad to shed those responsibilities. forget the drawings! the writing is impt too!

Mar 3, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

never took a c.d. class in school (or spec writing, contracts) but it's not really something i find overly difficult.

however, i will say that putting togethor a c.d. set is probably the most boring aspect of architecture, and i'd rather gouge out my eyes...

Mar 3, 09 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

tell them you've done DD's. true the definition overlaps, but if you aren't completely sure that you've worked on construction documents, then you probably haven't.

Mar 3, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

im doing one now!

Mar 4, 09 6:20 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

dammson, I love that kitchen. should I know it? Where's it from?

vado, I had to take a contract documents course my first year, which wasn't especially helpful so early on (they changed the curriculum at the end of that year and dropped the course for every following class), and again a focus on contract documents in my first pro practice course, which was moderately helpful. where it really helped (and was fun) was in a comprehensive studio. I think where I went to school had a focus that was too heavily on construction, etc when I arrived, but by the time I left had loosened up a bit on that but it was still important and integral, just better balanced along with theory, etc, and I was really happy with that.

Mar 4, 09 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

the kitchen is francois perrin's kovin house. i freakin love polycarbonate, especially rodeca. delicious.

Mar 4, 09 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

thermal nightmare!

Mar 4, 09 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: