Archinect
anchor

Getting that first internship

Milwaukee08

Well first off, I'm new to the forums, and I looked around for a "search" feature, but didn't see one, but I am glad to finally find an architecture forum.

I attended the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee for a 4-year BS in Architectural Studies from 1999-2004. I have enough credits to graduate, but I took 3 extra non-required classes that I did not complete. Unfortunately, the University will not award me a diploma until they are completed, and I have been unable to afford to return to college.

I've found very few entry-level jobs advertised, and none of the professors I knew well in college actually work as architects, so they've told me they have no connections. I've gone to staffing companies, but even they don't want anyone without any experience, and said they would contact me if any "general labor" jobs came up. The fact that I taught AutoCAD seminars, was the AIAS chapter president, and sat on the AIA Wisconsin board of directors to represent the school seems not to mean anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? The soonest I could return to school is Fall 2009, but I need a job to pay for it long before then!

Feb 24, 09 8:56 pm
PodZilla

with that out of the way...

In this climate there are indeed few firms hiring people at any level, including the entry level (where I'm looking too). It could be time to start working that degree and looking outside the immediate architecture field and into construction, engineering or even temping or freelancing for awhile. If you only need to work until september of this year, a few months with a temp agency wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... look how it worked out for Ryan in The Office! oh, wait...

Feb 24, 09 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
some person

My first internship, in Milwaukee coincidentally, was through the Milwaukee Internship Program. I'm not sure if the program still exists. I think it's just for high school students, however.

What have you been doing for the last 5 years?

Another thought - doesn't the advising office at UWM have a book of open job listings?

Feb 24, 09 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

wait a minute and somebody will tell you to go into exhibition design and set design...

Feb 25, 09 4:26 am  · 
 · 

I once read a blurb from an article written by Paul Rudolph, that stated the first job out of architecture school will dictate your professional career, so choose wisely. muah muah (Evil laugh)

Feb 25, 09 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

I don't really understand what you're asking.
You've been (seemingly) out of school for the past 5 years and hopefully doing something during that time. Why are you looking for an internship only now, considering you want to return to school in September?

Feb 25, 09 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

I left school in 2004 because I ran out of financial aid, I sent out resumes and some calls to people i'd met via the AIA and such after I left, but no one I talked to was hiring, or if they were it was only people with prior firm experience. I've been working as a barista in a coffee shop for the last eight years just trying to keep the heat on during the winter, but its not making me very happy.

I'm just frustrated because I seem to be running in circles here. Half the people tell me to get a drafting job so I can afford to go back to school, the other half tell me to go back to school so I can get a job drafting.

Feb 26, 09 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

You don't need to go back to school to get a drafting job. If you're not sure about your portfolio,get some floor plan/elevation samples from books for example I got an AutoCAD book, there were exercise drawings at the back of the book and I just copied them exactly.
Believe it or not there are many not qualified people doing drafting jobs out there.All they know is how to use AutoCAD. They don't even have college degrees let alone an architecture degree but they market themselves well.
Since you don't have any experience you need to show the employers that you can do basic construction drawings. Go on AutoCAD and draw as many drawings as you can. If you know 3D that's even better.

Feb 26, 09 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

I started learning AutoCAD back in 1997 using R13/14, up through AutoCAD 2005. Primarily I'm still using Architectural Desktop 3.3, because that's what I have on my computer right now.

I've used 3D Studio Viz for rendering, and I downloaded 3D Studio Max 2009 a couple months ago, so I'm teaching myself rendering in that now. I haven't been able to find a working copy of AutoCAD 2009 yet, so I'm trying to see if I can get a copy of 2008 to work.

Once I can get some recent software to use (sorry Autodesk, I don't have thousands of dollars to buy it from you), I can hopefully start working on some new designs to put in a portfolio.

Feb 27, 09 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
abc91686

Just a personal preference....AutoCAD 2006 is the best version of CAD that Autodesk has EVER come out with

Feb 28, 09 1:40 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

It doesn't matter if you use AutoCAD2006-07-08 or 09,there isn't much difference. If you have a slow computer I wouldn't recommend AutoCAD 08 and 09 though. Try to get a copy from somewhere. Can't you use the computers in your school? The school computers should have AutoCAD installed.

Feb 28, 09 1:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: