Archinect
anchor

Space planning fees

archetecton

I'm working on a small side project and wondering:

Whats the going rate for space planning services? I am taking a small professional office and wedging it into a private home. The client wants a minimum of construction and the office is to accommodate three people. My impulse is to charge an hourly in the nabe of $80. too low? Any help is appreciated!

Feb 23, 09 9:40 pm
narmer

Rate seems OK if you are simply helping him lay out the offices, furniture, etc., a cheapo solo interior designer out there may do it for less.
Are upgrades to the building needed to meet zoning or code issues related to the conversion of the house to office use. Are you licensed & insured?

Feb 26, 09 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Sounds about right.

Just as an idea, my office charges $100 hourly rate for an NCIDQ interior. Junior/graduate interior designers go for $90/hrand we're based Northern KY.

Feb 26, 09 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
archetecton

Thank you both.

narmer: Thanks. There will be some light construction (counter tops, new wiring for data and voice, maybe a new handrail for the stairs to be basement) but not much, and nearly nothing in terms of aesthetic design. The client is very career- and bottom line-driven.

Feb 27, 09 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

I know a space planning firm in town that does space planning for $.35/sf and "Permit / Construction documents" for $1.00/sf

It's pretty bare bones stuff for TI type projects and clients who are very bottome line.

Personally I prefer to shoor for the hourly and $80 sounds pretty reasonable for a solo show with low overhead but the space planners I know would not charge that much. I think a big part of structuring thier fees per/sf is it's really easy for bottom line clients to understand.

Mar 5, 09 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: