Archinect
anchor

What international experience do US employers value?

l3wis

Hi, I made a post earlier in regards to working in East Asia shortly after graduation. A common consensus, though, from people who have worked in China or Japan, is that U.S. employers do not typically place any value on your work experience there.

Where would I go to seek valuable international work experience that could increase my value in the U.S.?

Feb 23, 09 9:02 am
narmer

If you managed to learn to speak some form of Chinese while there, I think firms over here would want that skill upon your return. I've seen a lot of west-coast firms looking for people with Chinese language skills, and I've seen some interest in Spanish also.
A lot of firm principles I've come across think people with foreign experience are really cool to have; but that may be because that kind of experience appears to be somewhat uncommon in this region.

Feb 23, 09 9:39 am  · 
 · 
stone

Your question is somewhat vague and open-ended. Firms that don't work overseas (and that's quite a lot of firms) probably won't put much value on that sort of experience at all unless you're relatively senior and the firm has aspirations of going off-shore. Domestic firm's that already do work in China, or the region, might place some small premium on having that sort of experience, but I'm inclined to think they'll have more interest in what you can do as an architect. Hope this helps.

Feb 23, 09 9:53 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

Ah, stone, that makes sense. I guess it does hinge pretty heavily on what area or type of firm you're looking at.

I guess to be more specific, would firms on the east coast (ie Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, D.C.) value any particular set of experience more? I know of several firms in NYC that do a lot of work in China.

Feb 23, 09 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Charisma124

I saw a listing at HOK the other day that was for an international project manager. Said it required previous overseas experience. Though I'm grueling my way through China right now---This is what I think that i'm doing it for. That would be a pretty great job I think to have, my boyfriend in the envirinmental consulting business intends that when going to America that every job he gets in the future should involve business back in China...and trips back here.

Feb 25, 09 5:51 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

holl always seems to be looking for chumps that speak/write chinese...

Feb 25, 09 10:17 am  · 
 · 
dlb

experience is experience is experience.

having specific project experiences - no matter where - is worthwhile. this is usually the case for most positions.

however, if a practice is looking for specific experience in a Chinese or other experience, then the specific experience would be of benefit.

otherwise it is the scope, scale and relevancy of the experience that will come as a deciding factor. whether this has occurred in China, the USA or elsewhere, it is the specific nature of the experience that is relevant.

Feb 25, 09 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: