Archinect
anchor

Parametric Urbanism examples

archiwhat

I'm searching for information concerned using parametric patterns, tessellation or random spatial distribution of any kind that could be possibly used for planning purposes and could be done automatically.

I’ve seen those mostly in students’ work and I’d love to find some more examples. Thanx.

Feb 22, 09 8:31 am

this sounds like a really bad idea.

Feb 22, 09 9:08 am  · 
 · 
randomized

They're really into this at the AA in London

Patrik Schumacher
OCEAN
UN Studio with 3XN
etc

Feb 22, 09 9:15 am  · 
 · 
archiwhat

randomized,

Yea, but at the AA they prefer those organic growing vegetation-like forms and I was searching for something more orthogonal.

Feb 22, 09 9:36 am  · 
 · 
JWassell

you could look at cellular automata, its a more orthogonal system with a couple grasshopper scripts out there if you want to use rhino.

Feb 22, 09 10:30 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

The Digital Cities exhibition just finished at the Building Centre.

Feb 22, 09 11:40 am  · 
 · 
j'aime

aadrl.net

book above looks interesting...

Feb 22, 09 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

random acts of planning...

Feb 22, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
alucidwake

thanks for the link ArchiTed, looks great! I'm interested in the same subject...

Feb 22, 09 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
cowerd

even better automatic acts of planning
perhaps with racial or class based agents

Feb 22, 09 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Associated Design w/ Topsolid

read Wolfram if you want to really understand cellular automata and its implications regarding complexity.

Feb 22, 09 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
TedTedTed
http://www.amazon.com/Cities-Regions-as-Self-Organizing-Systems/dp/B000Q36XE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235354257&sr=8-1

this is another other book that might be of some help. i was trying to remember it earlier when i posted the other amazon link, but i couldn't remember the name of it for the life of me. hope this is helpful stuff...

Feb 22, 09 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat

Thanks, ArchiTed!

JWassell, I've found a grasshopper definition called game of life, experimenting with it now.

Pixelwhore, this video looks pretty cool.

Feb 23, 09 6:11 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

pixelwhore - that's an interesting video... it seems much closer to "natural" development than most of the monumental field/array stuff I've been seeing from the heavy hitters.

that zaha stuff still feels like a socially oppressive radiant city. It's good to see some parametric stuff finally break from the shackles of pure formalism.

Feb 23, 09 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: