Much more than this one

Feb 19, 09 10:01 am  · 
 · 
curt clay

this is very sad news.

Feb 19, 09 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I found it to be interesting that he is related to Julian Bond.

Feb 19, 09 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
atimoton

Max Bond inspired me to believe that Architecture is Revolution and I studied architecture at City College while he was the Dean. He was an eloquent man who pursued architecture with spirit in a time where architecture was most difficult. He was one of the most reasonable educators focused on the student, the process and truly enjoyed teaching and architecture.

He was a wonderful soul and was indeed the most influential African American Architect. My class of 1991 and those who knew him at City as Dean still smile when we talk about him. I remember first meeting him when I was deciding to go to City College and having a long conversation about choices and the importance of making architecture a life path focused on change and revolution. A quiet radical, he made you think about life and boundaries, about the importance of having a perspective, an opinion and approach to architecture.

I was fortunate to have him on several architectural critiques at school and also fortunate to work for him on the Audubon Biomedical Science and Technology Park after coming out of graduate school. I was also fortunate to be able to call him periodically just to talk and sometimes laugh. I still remember him in North Carolina at a conference talking about transitioning your practice to the next generation...Always a thinker, he was vibrant and focused.

He will be truly missed.

I have called Davis Brody Bond, 212-633-4700 - to add my name to the list - as a service for him has not yet been announced. I will also suggest you do the same.

Atim Annette Oton

Feb 21, 09 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Thanks for the tribute, Atim. Everybody should be so fortunate to have a mentor like that.

Feb 21, 09 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: