anchor

Entry level architecture position

Veuxx
Minimum 3 years of experience in an architecture office

Hahaha
These job postings are hilarious

Nov 5, 13 2:15 pm
good details

Same boat.  What's a recent grad to do who has no architecture nor construction job experience?  I'm pretty open to what my first job can be, anywhere from construction based to an architecture firm would be great.  I've sent out 50 custom-tailored resumes at this point and have had 1 informational interview from my efforts.  I'm in Vancouver so there are plenty of firms but they all require experience.  

Nov 5, 13 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

saturated market.

anyone wanting to be an architect that is still in the early stages of college should probably get the heck out.

and if you haven't even gotten into a college and still do it... you will definitely regret it.

"Tornado Sirens"

Or perhaps if you are deaf or dumb.

Nov 5, 13 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

here are some alt. you may have not tried,

-Spend time getting construction experience thru habitat for humanity or a similar venue or as a construction day labor. not the greatest gig, but it will giv you tons of exp. & you will value your new position when it comes

- apply for estimating positions with a construction company. This will definitely help improve your knowledge in areas of print reading, assembling construction doc's, spec reading and coordination, project cost, bidding, contractor subcontractor relations etc.

- start studyng for the a.r.e., in some states you can take the a.r.e. without finishing your idp or even starting it, plus you dont need to work as an architect to study and pass the a.r.e., but it does help

-work as a draftsman at a lumber yard

hope these help

Nov 5, 13 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

What I did the few months that I was unemployed after graduation was study for my LEED Associates. I know LEED is generally frowned upon here, but its an extra credential that will help you land that job. A lot of bigger firms (Gensler, Cannon etc) usually list it in their requirements, or at least as a heavily-favored credential to have.

Nov 5, 13 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Drafting at a construction firm or in an engineering firm is also a good place to get your foot i the door, but really working in construction was invaluable for me, I worked several summers in college and really helped understand the details.

Nov 5, 13 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

You could work for a kitchen or cabinet maker/millworker doing design and drafting too. 

Nov 6, 13 8:54 am  · 
 · 
wood_

Theta,

Do you mind confirming the fact that one can start taking the exam without having to start their IDP hours?

I graduated a few years ago with an M.Arch degree and with very little experiences working in an office.  I haven't been able to set my foot in the door since then other than having to pursue it on the side as I work as a draftsmen at a metal manufacturing company.

Nov 6, 13 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Wow Im going through that now. I just graduated in May with my Master's. Even though architecture is my passion I Am beginning to get weary. All the ads I see require a minimum of 3 years. How do they expect all the recent graduates to get there start if no one wants the responsibility or hastle of a recent graduate? Everyone has to get there start somewhere.

Nov 6, 13 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"Everyone has to get there start somewhere."

When there are more people with 3+ years experience willing to work for low pay than there are jobs, individuals with 0 years experience will not get hired. This is the reality of our profession. Firms rarely care about giving you a chance when they're struggling to make ends meet as a business. (That's giving them the benefit of the doubt, of course.)

Nov 7, 13 9:13 am  · 
 · 

Further evidence that arch grads are not prepared to enter the profession.

Nov 7, 13 10:06 am  · 
 · 
I think it's a little more complex than just saying that grads are not prepared to enter the profession. It's also the pressure firms are under to produce more at a faster pace. They no longer can afford to train new workers, they need workers who are already up to speed and adding value from day one.

However, they also don't want to pay too much for that value. Hence the nearly ubiquitous desire for someone with 3-5 years experience.

The bigger question for someone just starting out after graduation is whether or not any experience at some of the alternatives listed in this thread will mean anything in 3-5 years when they want to get into an architecture firm. Will your future employer put the same value on your 3 years of shop drawings as someone with 3 years of unpaid internships?
Nov 7, 13 10:30 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

murrr... 

good point.

Here is one to consider.

Fux This Industry

Nov 7, 13 10:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: