Archinect
anchor

How from licensed architect in Canada (Ontario) to licensed in United States... any idea?

Che29

Got quite frustrated since I couldn't find any information on this. Current situation is: M. Arch. from a NAAB accredited program (an university located in the New York State), worked 2.5 yrs in the US, established IDP record (all experience hours finished except for volunteer work)... moved to Toronto in Jan. 2007 and have been working with an architecture firm ever since... established IAP record with Ontario Association of Architects (all experience hours finished)...applied through OAA, got authorization to test and took one ARE exam in January this year...

My question is: after I get licensed (or registered) here in Canada, is it easy to get licensed in an US state (ex. New York) through reciprocal agreement between Canada and US? What is the process of doing it? Anyone has any idea or can point out a place where I can get my question answered?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 17, 09 10:55 pm
spark
www.ncarb.org

http://www.ncarb.org/reciprocity/interrecognition.html

Good Luck...

Feb 17, 09 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
Che29

I believe I read the stuff on reciprocity on NCARB website before but now I see this NCARB certificate stuff might be what I need... need to figure out how I can get it...looks like some states need this for reciprocal license but some don't...

I'll probably have to call the state board from which I want to get licensed to get their opinion...

Thank you spark!

Feb 17, 09 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Gabriel

an NCARB certificate is the way to go. There will still be some state by state hoops to jump through, but with a certificate it is the same process as getting licensed in a different state. The certificate is just as useful trying to get licensed in Canada after practicing in the US.

Feb 18, 09 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Be very careful with the OAA testing option:
OAA is looking at the option to test under their own system (I think), or under the long-standing NCARB system. It is my understanding that anyone who opts for the home-grown (OAA) process will NOT have reciprocity!

Look it up to be sure.

Feb 18, 09 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Long route but guaranteed.

Go to school for 5 years in America.
Enroll in NCARB.
Spend 3 years interning and IDPing.
Take and pass the 9 divisions of the ARE.

Simple, but you may want to try the shorter route.

Hope this helps.

Feb 18, 09 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: