Archinect
anchor

Severely Depressed..I need your advice.

Paradox

You can call me a fool but I'm about to finish my B.S in Architecture and want to get a full-time job in architectural/construction field beginning in summer. I'm a foreigner but I'm a permanent resident.I've lived with my father since I came here to NY but he is going to get laid off in May and going to go back to our native country in summer so I have to find a job and a place to live in a few months. I can't go back to my country because I still have to take 3 classes in next Fall and I DON'T want to go back.So unfortunately I won't have the option to "move in with the parents" when I'm broke. I worked for a company for 6 months but I got laid off in November. I was getting cash so I can't collect unemployment insurance right now. It wasn't just me they paid everybody cash. I know it is so not a good idea to receive cash but I needed the job. That's all the professional experience I have. Since then I've been looking for jobs.I haven't applied to any type of office job since I'm taking 17 credits and they are all day classes but the problem is I can't find any jobs in retail either.I see hiring signs so I go inside and ask if they are hiring,they say "we're not hiring at the moment but we're accepting applications." Same bullshit everywhere. I tried becoming a waitress but I screwed it up because I'm very shy with people I don't know and I'm too clumsy. I've tried internet,especially Craigslist,newspaper,walk-in applications but nothing works. I've sent out about 50-70 resumes and haven't gotten one interview yet. I'm about to finish my savings,too so I have no idea what I'm going to do in this situation. What is the best way to apply for jobs? Because online job boards really don't work..Maybe I should move to another state? For some reason I'm thinking NY/NYC may provide more jobs compared to other states but I don't know. I need your advice.

Feb 17, 09 5:59 pm
Antisthenes

not sure about the job but i am curious , what native land?

Feb 17, 09 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Apply anywhere you can. This is the worst possible time to be looking for an internship.

Look outside of architecture, too.

Do you know 3D well? Graphics? Think creatively.

Feb 17, 09 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
binary

look into jersey.........

Feb 17, 09 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
binary

look into the tv studios and set design for the theatres and mtv/etc

Feb 17, 09 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
n400

"What is the best way to apply for jobs? Because online job boards really don't work..Maybe I should move to another state?"

Moving to a state with a lower cost of living might be a good idea, but I'd research the state's food stamps and Medicaid requirements, especially in this economy.

Did your post imply that you can't apply to office jobs because you're in school all day? Are there any job opportunities through school?

When I was desperate to pay my bills, I wrote 7-10 personalized resumes and cover letters a day, mostly to ads posted on craigslist and careerbuilder (online job boards).

After about a week, I ignored employers' minimum qualifications for experience and education.

Strangely, that's when I started getting interviews.

If someone reading this is an employer who gets annoyed by people who apply to jobs for which they do not meet the requested minimum qualifications, please relax. I think I started getting interviews because I got better at selling myself, not because I can only be hired for jobs for which I'm unqualified. obviously. maybe i should be posting on the hammered thread at this point.

Oh yeah, try waitressing again, but take a couple of shots first.

Feb 17, 09 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
RevisionV

Moving to a different state, even a small town would not be a bad idea... Be flexible, and apply for jobs in places that still have them. Set yourself to go there, settle there and make the most of it. You might even be able to get some intern gig at a small office in the middle of nowhere. Keep trying.

Hang in there, you'll get through this, just the rest of us.

Feb 18, 09 3:48 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

N400,yes the reason I can't get an office job is because I go to school everyday except Fridays and sometimes I have 3 classes in one day so..Employers don't give me a chance because of my school schedule.

"You might even be able to get some intern gig at a small office in the middle of nowhere."
Moving to another state might be a good idea but don't architecture/construction companies do better in big cities? If I move to a smaller area the chances of getting a position in construction/arch may be more difficult.

"Oh yeah, try waitressing again, but take a couple of shots first." I get along well with alcohol..Actually I'd like to be a bartender but they want people with experience,I've never had the balls to apply for bartending jobs :)

There are lots of thinks I'll have to consider.I need to keep my options open.Thanks for all your responses,I appreciate it.

Feb 18, 09 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

when i graduated with my BS arch, in 1995, it took me I think 6 months before I found a drafting job working in a guy's basement. I found out after 6 weeks that he didn't have any money to pay me, so I quit. then another couple of months till a real job, where a guy would actually pay me, but he didn't have any work. he just wanted someone around the office to abuse. then, another 4 months until I found a real job.

weird that I'm still an architect after that. I suppose, no where to go but up.

but, before I found that first "job"...I worked in temp positions through temp agencies. office and warehouse work. it was good because if I couldn't work, I just told them I wasn't available.

you might try it out, you never know.

Feb 19, 09 3:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: