Archinect
anchor

Portfolio content for Internship after one year in M.Arch

BabbleBeautiful

Ok, so I'm in the process of looking for a summer internship. I'm in my 2nd semester of the M.Arch 3 program and I have technically four projects I can put into my portfolio. Three of them are rather abstract, and the last one has to do more with materiality and craftsmanship that has an "architectural" reduction. I also have a scale model that I could use to show my modeling skills.

My concern is what should or can be conveyed through my portfolio taking into consideration my level of education? I don't have any buildings or really good renderings per se, but I do have good photographs and of course, my sketches of some of the process.

Any advice?

Feb 15, 09 9:35 pm
Living in Gin

I assume you've never worked at an architecture firm before, and this is your first internship?

If so, go ahead and use your school projects. No employer would expect you to have any real buildings in your portfolio at this point in your career.

What does your prior work experience consist of?

Feb 15, 09 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Right, no prior experience at an arch firm. I worked in IT before I flipped to Architecture.

Feb 15, 09 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

What software do you know? If you know AutoCAD, Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, any 3D modeling/rendering apps, or Microsoft Office, be sure your prospective employer knows about it.

Feb 15, 09 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Of course.

What about any descriptions for the studio projects? Should I just do a brief explanation of the assignment and let the photos do the rest?

Feb 15, 09 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Sounds like a plan... Maybe a short paragraph or two describing the objectives for each project, and your process for meeting those objectives. Chances are nobody will bother to read the text, but it's worth having it there anyway.

Be sure to show your portfolio to one or two professors at school or other trusted mentors before you hit the road with it, and ask for their feedback.

Feb 15, 09 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Drawings,drawings,drawings(on CAD).Detailed drawings,plans,axonometrics,perspective drawings.If you have any sketches make sure you include them,most employers find sketching skills valuable. A good organized portfolio is a must. You can use InDesign but Photoshop will do also. Go buy "Portfolio Design" by Harold Linton ,it is a life saver. Sometimes it is not what you do but rather "how you present it".

Feb 16, 09 11:39 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Yeah. I have plenty of sketches, but no CAD drawings since they don't want us to use computers the first year. However, I do know how to use CAD proficiently and will of course add it to my CV. I'm also pretty confident in my presentation skills and know how to use most of the Adobe products most relevant to our field. My initial concern was mostly what I should be presenting in the portfolio and what I should leave out.

Thanks for your responses :-)

Feb 16, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Taking into consideration that I don't have any professional architecture experiences should I bother putting in my past IT experiences in my CV?

Feb 18, 09 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Wouldn't hurt, although you may end up getting pigeonholed as "the IT guy" at some firms, and spend more time doing tech support and less time designing.

Feb 18, 09 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

here's what you will do with a summer internship. first you will replace whatever light bulbs need changing. then you will go measure a building or two then you will do renderings or sketch up models. adjust your portfolio accordingly.

Feb 18, 09 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: