Archinect
anchor

how much is experience worth when taking ARE?

atsama

hi all

just looking for some feedback here - now that my state changed the rules and we can take ARE concurrent with IDP, i am thinking of starting, b/c why not try to get some of this out of the way. i have been working at an architecture and urban design firm for almost 5 years. i really like my job. i came here looking to try urban design, and it suits me. however, since one cant be a licensed "urban designer" and i still want to be an architect, since i might not stick with this forever......i am going to get myself licensed. in a booming economy, i might have considered leaving my nice job to get better "arch" experience, but there is no way I am doing that right now. I have gotten through all IDP categories that come before CDs and CA. I have very little CD experience (although, a reasonable amount of DD...) and zero CA.

so here is my question....if i were to start taking ARE at some point during this year....should i only focus on the programming/planning, site design, and schematic divisions? should i not even bother with building systems now? i have worked on several buildings....just not all the way through CDs...

i guess my question is...how much real world CD experience does one need, or could i manage with study guides etc to also get through some of the other divisions?

i would expect that between now and the end of my 5 year rolling clock that i will change jobs/get more CD/construction experience. but i'm eager to get some of the ARE out of the way now.

suggestions/advice?

thanks!

Feb 13, 09 2:07 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

take them all if you can, it's a little about experience, materials and methods, but it's a lot about studying. the graphics vignettes have nothing to do with practice, and structures - nada about experience.

Feb 13, 09 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

Take the tests as fast as you can. I compleated all of mine within 2 years of graduation.

Also, as an FYI, when you mentioned that "your state" please understand that you can take the tests through almost any state you want. For example, I took my tests through Texas even though I live in Atlanta because Texas would allow me to sit for the exams 6 months after graduation.

Especially in these economic times, having a license can be a deal maker/breaker when it comes to layoff's.

Feb 13, 09 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

trick question study

Feb 13, 09 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Put me in the camp that thinks real world experience helped me on the ARE. I more or less winged a lot of the exams and found that my experience saved more more times than not. That said, I think anyone who is a competent test taker could study hard and pass the ARE, architecture education or not. It's mostly hype about it being hard....although still waiting to hear back on that one retake. Everyone fails at least one I guess.

Feb 13, 09 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

Is there a consensus on the best study resources?

Feb 13, 09 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
binary

where do i sign up......

Feb 13, 09 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

for the multiple choice, long experience allowed me to pass all sections without studying.

for the graphic sections, experience caused me to NOT pass multiple times. i had to have someone tell me to forget what i knew and JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

Feb 14, 09 7:50 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I crammed the ARE study guides, but I'll admit that ten years of practice definitely helped me out on a lot of questions.

For the graphic portions, learning the software and questions via the study guides was priceless. I never would have passed w/o doing the practice exams a few times first.

Feb 14, 09 8:47 am  · 
 · 
ryukyova

I agree with Aquapura, It's definately best to take them as soon as possible and no doubt you can get through them with lots of study.

But in my personal experience I had been working full time through school and then went through IDP and had a total of 8 years experience when I took the test. The only studying I did was one practice of the design portion. (this was the last year before the exam was changed to the computer and when all sections where taken during a week long exam) I passed all sections on the first try. So I'd say experience will do the trick too.

I thank my IDP mentor for the advice to just go in and take it and see what you pass.

Feb 14, 09 10:26 am  · 
 · 
binary

so i think we come to a consensus that idp shouldnt be required..

Feb 14, 09 11:23 am  · 
 · 
b4g

I found that the Construction Documents exam and the California orals, I relied a great deal on my experience. Also working on more complicated buildings than residential made a difference in me passing the MEP exam the second time. I found the flash cards extremely helpful with all of the multiple choice exams. For the graphic exams if you are familiar with the software and follow the directions given on the exam, you will do fine.

Good luck!

Feb 16, 09 12:13 am  · 
 · 
atsama

thanks for the various points of view. I guess for now I will start with the tests in which I do have experience, and then see how I do.

I've been working for 4.5 years, and it seems like at least several of you did not take the exams until you had 8 or 10 years of experience....which makes me feel better. I just hate the feeling of it hanging over my head...and explaining that I am not really an "architect."

Hopefully, I can also use the rolling clock to get my employer to move me to a project team where I can get the experience I am lacking....or maybe by then the economy will have picked up, and I can revisit the idea of changing jobs.

Feb 17, 09 8:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: