Archinect
anchor

Interior Courtyard

Benjamin_

I am designing an office building and hope to incorporate an interior courtyard in the middle of the building. I am trying to figure out how big to make this to support plant life and bring ample natural light to the space.

The courtyard walls will be 16' high. Ideally the space would be 16' x 32', but I am not sure this is big enough.

I am also debating whether I should have this courtyard open to outside above or a glass roof with the plant material in the interior space. The potential issues are with drainage and snow build-up.

Does anyone have any information or examples of this done before?

Thanks

Feb 12, 09 3:53 pm
Living in Gin

Lever House, NYC

Rookery, Chicago

Feb 12, 09 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

My preference is for open courtyards with no roof, and big enough to have some sort of element (tree, planting, habitable space) so that it's not just a lightwell. I think the height of this building, and other proportions as well as the material choices, permeability, etc. will determine whether 16x32 is big enough. Initially I think not, but I think you can make it work.

Feb 12, 09 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: