Archinect
anchor

I found the perfect firm, how do I convince them to hire me?

Minnow

I've been doing a lot of research into architecture firms that fit the goals I have as an architect and have found one in Vermont that I would give my left foot to be a part of. I have a BARCH, a Masters in Historic Preservation, and will be testing for my LEED AP later this month. Unfotunately, I have no experience in the architecture field and have been working as a preservation intern for the last 3 years. I know the economy is in the toilet right now and no one is hiring, but I am willing to work for minimum wage as long as it is at THIS FIRM. Any suggestions for how to approach these people would be MUCH appreciated!

I'm thinking about starting a blog to showcase my design work and other interests as a way for potential employers to get to know me a bit more beyond what is on my resume. Any ideas on this would be a big help too.

Thanks!

Feb 12, 09 10:20 am
brian buchalski

there are no perfect firms...unless it's your firm...and even then that's more of a maybe than an absolute fact

Feb 12, 09 11:25 am  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

I'd advise looking carefully at their website to see who at the firm would be your best point of contact ... then, pick up the telephone and see if that person will speak with you.

Explain who you are and why you are interested in their firm. I wouldn't necessarily tell them immediately how cheaply you're willing to work, but try to convince them that you have a) the passion, b) the ability, and c) the potential to make a significant contribution at their firm. Focus on facts -- not assertions.

I'm always interested in speaking with young people who have both the passion for and the ability to contribute to our firm's project type. Even if I can't offer that person something right now, I do remember them and pull out their resume when I next start hiring.

Be respectful, but don't be bashful ... what have you got to lose?

Hope it works out for you.

Feb 12, 09 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Minnow

Thank you Blue Goose! Your comments are very helpful and it's nice to hear from the perspective of someone who would be doing the hiring. I appreciate your response!

Feb 12, 09 11:38 am  · 
 · 
4arch

First, be prepared to be patient. Landing a job at this place probably won't happen within 6 weeks. A time frame of anywhere from 6 months to 6 years is probably more realistic.

It would be good to do some face to face networking with people in senior level positions at this firm. Find out what professional organizations they belong to and are active within and join those organizations as well. Go to any local seminars, conferences, or lectures where you think there'd be a good chance of seeing and conversing with these people. This will let them see you as a colleague rather than just another fresh face.

As for the blog, unless you're absolutely certain that you're the next Geoff Manaugh, I'm not sure it's such a good idea. People in hiring positions at firms tend to have been around long enough to have seen and heard it all before (or at least to think they have). What might seem to you like a good faith effort to be open and accessible might come off to them as just plain naked ambition and cockiness. There's also a chance you could really offend someone at this firm with one of your posts. For example, you might do a post about a certain architect you love and it turns out one of the principals at this firm despises him. Once you get your foot in the door, things like that generally won't even come close to being firing offenses, but they're bound to leave a bad taste if they come out before you even get an interview.

Finally, I'd caution against putting all your eggs in one basket. I did a summer internship at a firm some years ago and absolutely loved it. Once I got out of school I waited several months for a full time position to come open. The minute they offered me a job I took it. Once I started, it became clear a lot of things I loved about the firm had changed for the worse and that I had outgrown it as well. As others have said, there is no perfect firm.

Feb 12, 09 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Minnow

4arch, thank you so much for your post! I hadn't considered networking in the manner you describe, but it makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I live in KY and the firm I'm bonkers about is in VT, so the local factor is not possible, but excellent advice none the less. I will certainly heed your advice about the blog and otherwise, thanks again!

Feb 12, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
outed

minnow - your best chance to work at any firm is to make a convincing case of what YOU bring to the firm, not simply that it appears to align with your goals. there are tons of people who 'like' certain firms for whatever reason. as the owner, i'm vastly more interested in what you have to offer in real terms, as well as potential.

not sure i'd read your blog unless it was really, really good.

Feb 12, 09 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Minnow

Outed, thank you for taking the time to post on my topic, and for opening my eyes on a very important point!

As for the blog, I think I would gear it more towards being an online portfolio rather than my opinions about architecture, though I think it would be useful to include those also, but in a general sense rather than specifically talking about certain buildings or architects and so on.

Thank you again!

Feb 12, 09 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

"and have found one in Vermont that I would give my left foot to be a part of."

have you told them this? This is a huge selling point, if things really get lean they at least have some juicy interns to feast on.

Otherwise, Goose and 4arch said it best.

Feb 12, 09 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Minnow

Haha, you think it might work? Dismembering myself in the name of architecture...perhaps I over exaggerated a bit...but this firm is so awesome I just might. Thanks cadcroupier :-)

Feb 12, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
abc91686

Minnow If you are just looking for a portfolio site, I may have the perfect one for you.

http://issuu.com

Me and my friends have used it to upload our portfolio's and our professor from italy uses it to upload her architecture magazine. It's a great interface and the quality is the best I have seen...AND ITS FREE!!!

just for shits my personal site is http://issuu.com/adam.cummins/docs/portfolio-final

hope that might help

Feb 12, 09 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Vermont has five seasons...be careful... They have Summer, Fall, Winter, Mud Season and Spring! Mud Season is the nasty one where everything turns to mud....and it usually lasts alot longer than you want it to.

Feb 12, 09 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Minnow

Thank you to everyone who posted, your comments and suggestions have been tremendously helpful, archinet is a FANTASTIC community and I am endlessly appreciative!!

Feb 13, 09 11:51 am  · 
 · 
n400

really nice portfolio abc!

Feb 13, 09 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
abc91686

thanks n400, you are the first archinecter to see it!!

Feb 13, 09 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: