Archinect
anchor

First year student job opportunity

hatchline

I am in my first year of architecture school (pursuing a 5 year M.Arch) and am weighing my options for the summer. Ideally I would like to start working in a firm, but given the economy and and small skill set I have being a first year student, I'm not sure if that would be possible. Do firms usually hire at my level? I looked at my schools career fair line-up and most specify that they recruit some combination of 3rd yr. and up.

My other option is to take a class or two over the summer to get ahead which is what I did last summer. I'm just worried that the lack of job experience may not look as nice on a resume in the future.

Should I pursue finding a job? I'm just a bit discouraged reading about the sh!tty economy and all the lay-offs.

Feb 11, 09 9:03 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

don't waste your time with an architecture firm, go and be a gopher for a construction company, you'll learn more.

Feb 11, 09 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
hatchline

I have thought about that and should consider that option as well as I am interested in design/build.

Another question: How do I go about contacting firms that I would like to work for? Simply send my resume and cv to the appropriate person within, send an email inquiry, or....? Unfortunately, I don't have any immediate contacts within firms.

Feb 11, 09 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

why not talk to studio professors in your own school??

Feb 11, 09 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
jackhogan

Definitely would be a great idea to work on a building site

Feb 12, 09 9:31 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

personally id just go make yourself some money...
i worked at car dealerships during my summer and winter breaks for my first few years... made more money hourly than im making now nearly 3 years out of school...

you'll have plenty of time to get experience in the architecture field... for now, enjoy your summers, get yourself a job that pays your bills and allows you to save up a little bit for the up coming semester...

Feb 12, 09 9:50 am  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

I second the idea of trying to find summer work in construction. As I look back on my summers while in school, clearly the best two summers - both economically and from an experience standpoint - were the two that I worked as an apprentice ironworker. Hard damn work, but it paid well and it really helped me start to understand how buildings go together.

I confess -- I was lucky to get the job. I was dating a girl who was a member of the ironworkers union and he helped me join the union. Looking back, being a union member for a while was quite an experience.

Feb 12, 09 10:01 am  · 
 · 
cajunarch

absolutely work construction - I love to see that on resume's when we are interviewing and learning hands-on about building technology is much betetr than being a 1st year student intern/gopher (assuming you could even find a paying position) - after 3rd year I beleive the value flips and obtaining office experience becomes key!

Feb 12, 09 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

Let me correct my post above, please:

"I confess -- I was lucky to get the job. I was dating a girl whose father was a member of the ironworkers union and he helped me join the union. Looking back, being a union member for a while was quite an experience.

Feb 12, 09 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
PodZilla

Construction all the way... I worked for a residential electrician doing new homes for three summers, and still look back on the time as some of my fondest work memories. A short list of things you can do on a jobsite that you can't do in an office:

1. Throw tools when you get mad
2. Swear constantly
3. learn how to drive a ten penny nail in 2 swings of a framing hammer
4. Be out in the fresh air and sunlight
5. complain about the architects
6. Wear a tool belt; I've always found there's something satisfying about the soft clinking of tools in a pouch together as you walk around
7. engineer creative ways to safely set up systems of ladders to reach things
8. Go home after eight hours with the feeling you accomplished something. You get that in an office too, but only in construction is it accompanied by filthy hands and a satisfying soreness.

Feb 12, 09 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
hatchline

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the input.

I am going to research some construction companies and see what I come up with. However, I feel like I shouldn't just give up on trying to get in to a firm.

Does anyone have advice on how to contact firms that I am interested in? I go to school out-of-state and plan on living back home during the summer. That said, walking-in isn't an option unless I wait a month or so for spring break when I will be back in town. Would sending an email describing my intentions be appropriate? A few of the firms are small and doubt they have any hiring protocol.

Feb 17, 09 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
-jay

Its really hard to get a summer job after your first or second year because you are going to be competing with people in their third and fourth years and prolly a lot of recent grads given how scare Intern jobs are right now. I never worked in an office until senior year, but the people I know who did work in offices during the first couple of years usually worked in smaller ones. You might try to check out residential firms and/or small interior botique-type firms because bigger firms sometime won't even talk someone who isnt at least in their junior year. You should just try to "cold call/email" firms you are interested in, it might take a while to get a response from some of them, but even if they aren't hiring right now or don't knwo what they will need this summer you can at least get yourself on their radar so they may be more likely to call you in the future if something does open up.

Feb 18, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Hmm..Is it wise for a female to work in construction? Sometimes I hate working in an office and all the office politics..

Feb 18, 09 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: