Archinect
anchor

Quantifying Value of Master Planning?

RealLifeLEED

I've been asked to find studies quantifying the value of master planning exercises and am coming up blank. What I'm looking for is something along the lines of "A study from such and such found that for every $X,XXX spent on planning, institutions avoided XXXXXX in the long run" or "XX% of hospitals have a long range master plan" or "Studies have shown that XX% of organizations that underwent a facilities planning process made significant changes to their short term renovation and expansion projects."

This is intended for a healthcare audience, but at this point anything would help.

Thanks!

Feb 10, 09 5:35 pm

The difficulty with Master Plans is that they change...something along the way usually changes. RealLife trying looking for business models - which is really what you are referring to. The best way of quantifying it perhaps is to hire an economist and do a Financial Study based off tangibles.

Feb 12, 09 12:29 am  · 
 · 
atsama

another less scientific way of looking at it - its going to be hard to quantify the value in dollars, but if you can point to one institution (presumably similar to your client's) that never had a master plan, and one that did - evne with changes - the institution that plans for the future by thinking about more than one building at a time...inevitably ends up with a more cohesive campus on many levels. there are many examples of this in the univeristy world....not sure about healthcare.

Feb 13, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

How do you value an exercise that explores options and attempts to forecast needs? the alternative is to develop a campus/district in an ad hoc manor. the danger in ad hoc building is that as atsama posted, that stupid choices limit future growth.

Many colleges, universities, hospitals, and other institutions have master plans to identify future building sites on their campus. Many also develop a 'strategic plan' that analyzes current facilities and users to identify under-served departments and allocation of resources.

Then there are master plans created for developers that create a 'vision' for them to sell before design and construction begin - these can be as small as a city block or subdivision and up to entire cities. The value of this sort of mp is for guiding the design/build out of the place.

Feb 13, 09 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
ihearthepavilion

I agree with many of the comments above. I have worked on a few master plans, but they have all been for universities... They are there not so much to save money... as a tool to implement long range planning goals.

Feb 13, 09 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: