Archinect
anchor

RFP's for newly licensed

designBandit

I'm a newly minted licensed architect wondering about formal avenues for getting work.

Are RFP's worth the look for someone starting on their own? Or is it only for firms with experience doing whatever it is that's requested. So far I've looked on rfpdb.com with no luck on something that I could do on my own.

Feb 8, 09 4:09 pm
strux4

---

Feb 8, 09 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

those RFPs are probably not worth your effort. if you don't have a prior relation to the issuer of the RFP, then you're wasting time - unless you have tons of experience in exactly that sort of project type.

Finding out about projects before the RFP is issued is an art that takes a while to nurture.

good luck!

Feb 8, 09 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

tk, you are absolutely right. i sent the above with a link for a small california town library building to my friend, who has few libraries under his belt, he said the same thing.
by the time it shows up there, deals are already made.
of course it might be different for some other trades. and of course there are rare cases of exceptions.

but my friend knows i meant well...

Feb 8, 09 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Someone mentioned this on another thread, but many state governments keep a list of architects for doing small capital improvement projects to state facilities (like re-roof projects or ADA improvements). If you're licensed you can usually get on these lists and it works on rotation basis. I have no clue how many architects are in the rotation or how much work it would bring in, but it has to be better than nothing.

Feb 9, 09 8:45 am  · 
 · 
outed

4arch - those are usually idiq contracts (indefinite design, indefinite quantity). they are usually put out for selection every few years and, yes, the municipalities or universities will create a pool of architects to rotate the work between. usually, though, you will have a hard time getting in the door as a single person practice.

the only real chance you have right now is if you know people at some of the 'out of the way' or smaller universities, colleges, tech schools, etc. and can convince them to give you the projects they don't have to advertise for. the dollar limit they are allowed to go up to before that threshold gets crossed varies, but in general they can pick 2-3 architects for work up to 20K in fees, without advertising.

Feb 9, 09 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

many universities and institutions also have a pre-qualified professional service provider list. Not that you are automatically hired once you get approved, but this is the first step in a long courtship.

Feb 9, 09 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

are you an MBE?

Feb 9, 09 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

thanks for your responses....its been very helpful, good to know. time's too tight to put my energy into the wrong direction...

what's an MBE?

Feb 18, 09 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
outed

minority based enterprise (51% or more owned by an ethnic minority). wbe is same thing for women owned businesses. dbe or lsbe are both for small businesses.

Feb 18, 09 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: