Archinect
anchor

adventures outside Architecture

edmund.l.liang

...so, I gave it a try. i figured that i'm getting old and i had to try a new "thing." so far, OK - but, there are positives and negatives. currently, i'm in construction management. my feelings are neutral - these are my observations. so far it's been 6months of being a freed slave, ...or, CAD Monkey...

1.) no more rhetoric around me. i never hear creative things anymore such as - "let's fetishize a storefront and what it means to be a storefront"
2.) i don't get vertigo anymore since i can't spend my days zooming in as far as i can in CAD and zooming back out as far as i can and get paid for it.
3.) i no longer accidentally hit the F1 key.
4.) i now write RFI's - what are you architects thinking? why would you spec an electric dryer with a gas hookup shown in the plumbing drawings? did you forget to fetishize the dryer?
5.) profit margins are absurd in construction. just hire....ahem, minorities. i'm one - i think i can say that? don't get mad - it's america, or american to do so.
6.) i miss fetishizing - whatever that means.
7.) i don't miss talking about what it means to be a storefront.
8.) i get paid more.
9.) i'm not done with IDP, nor can anyone facilitate it for me where I am!
10.) laborers are fun to hang out with. they are slackers, but fun to hang out with.
11.) girls in construction are hot.
12.) girls in architecture are not.
13.) i don't get to design anymore. but, seriously - my job is to also build your crazy ideas. I only say this because i'm frustrated in trying to interpret some crazy details.
14.) my work hours are from 7-5. not 8-9.
15.) bidding work out sucks.
16.) doing area takeoffs suck.
17.) writing reports suck.
18.) compiling budget is fun
19.) scheduling sucks.
20.) no more redmarks! seriously, what a waste of time.
21.) no more fruity people picking out colors and patterns or finishes and spending hours on end talking about it. the only people who care are the people selecting....

next stop after CM'ing - Expediting. That's next week when I lose my job because of the deep shit everyone is in. and when i lose that job, it's off to LA to become the zookeeper i have always wanted to become. I prefer to train monkeys. I'll teach them CAD. I will then rule the architecture world with my team of specialized monkeys.

Feb 4, 09 11:52 pm
holz.box

12 is incorrect.

21 is for the interns.

Feb 5, 09 1:19 am  · 
 · 
randomized

5 is criminal, but hey it's america.

Feb 5, 09 3:18 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

How can you live without the soul-fulfilling reverie of #3 ?

Feb 5, 09 10:00 am  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

i remind myself at times of the F1, but nothing happens.

Feb 5, 09 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
binary

good stuff man.... it's been a minute ...hows the dog and everything... you still in nyc?...i'm in jersey at the moment...

b

Feb 5, 09 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

yes so i heard. we shall hook up. im still in nyc. im glad youre out of the D off to big and better things. i still miss it though. dog is good.

Feb 5, 09 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm going to take the two prong approach.....going to start me a worm farm with abandoned refrigerators and old bathtubs...and
Play Santa Claus from November 25 thru Christmas. Rest of the time play on my piano and howl!

Feb 5, 09 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

My backup plan: Move to Hawaii flip burgers....and become a Private Eye...and play Santa Claus from November 25 thru Chistmas. Spend the rest of my time combing beachs with my metal dector, while I'm checking out the babes....now that is the ticket...!

Feb 5, 09 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
raj

glad you are enjoying it.
i loved my years on the construction side!
esp. on the design/build side. i found a bunch of things we typically do that just don't make sense on the other side. this was esp. interesting when it was me doing the detail!

by the way you can get a years worth of IDP working on the construction side. (at least you could a couple of years ago.)

Feb 6, 09 8:28 am  · 
 · 
binary

raj- "i found a bunch of things we typically do that just don't make sense on the other side."

amen to that....also add a few backflips and a 'superstar'

Feb 6, 09 11:07 am  · 
 · 
outthere

btw ..you can turn your F1 key off in the settings of autocad

Feb 7, 09 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

what version ACAD? i was using like ACAD 14 - i think the office i was at was too cheap to get the real deal holifield.

Feb 8, 09 10:30 am  · 
 · 
edmund.l.liang

i took the F1 key off my comfuzer for freelance work...i have 2000

Feb 8, 09 10:31 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I like this Architects Adventure outside of what I would call a normal Architecutural Practice.....an new ski jump in norway.

Feb 8, 09 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: