Archinect
anchor

http://www.insidearch.org

kissy_face

Has anyone seen this site? I stumbled across it while looking up info about firms in my area. I'd like to know what some of you all think...

Oct 7, 04 5:02 pm

I think InsideArch is a great resource for job seekers. It also has the potential to set a higher standard for architectural work environments.

Oct 7, 04 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
danimal

i think it has the POTENTIAL to be a great resource, but i am also a bit wary of it... a firm my wife formerly worked at was completely trashed by one disgruntled low life who sought to project his own inadequancies on someone else... of course, since he was one of a handful of employees it was the only record for a long time until a friend of the owner stumbled across the site and alerted him. anyway, i believe there is somewhat of a self-selecting process for entries at the moment (ie. those who are unhappiest are most likely to seek some way to vent). until that improves read on with skepticism

Oct 7, 04 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
A

danimal makes some good points but that's exactly why I do think it's a good resource. Hearing from the happiest and most pleased workers in any firm is going to skew the results just the opposite direction. At every firm I've worked for there has always been at least one person who was happy with his meager pay and poor working conditions. I'd much rather hear from the unhappy workers and why they dislike an employer. What really angers one person might not the next. Even if a firm gets a low rating I'd consider it depending on what pulled down its score. Those ranking highest I look at with the same skepticism.

Oct 8, 04 11:14 am  · 
 · 
danimal

A, you make a good point. i guess my skepticism is derived mainly from the knowledge of the one particular incident i mentioned above. the 'unhappy' worker who berated a firm was a true low-life. i had actually worked with him previously at a larger office. he got into this smaller office, more laid back atmosphere and turned into a ego-maniacal ass. he started taking credit for projects that were done long before he was around, and when it was discovered that he falsified information on his resume, he became even more intolerable. 'invited' to leave, he instead persisted until he was fired, and then proceeded to file suit while collecting unemployment. it was at this point that, with his 'free time,' that he went on a smear campaign... so i guess it's not just a case of a 'disgruntled' employee airing their opinions that i caution against, but the fact that this resource can be used maliciously. hopefully, this is something that insidearch.org can find a way to rectify by somehow acheiving accountability.

Oct 8, 04 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: