Archinect
anchor

colorado ski rentals

wrecking ball

i'm trying to find a minimalist house to stay in around the breckenridge/steamboat springs area, ...maybe even an a-frame(?). looking to avoid a plastic house or cheesy ski chalet type thing. any ideas?

Jan 10, 09 4:47 pm
le bossman

if you're serious about riding, i'm curious why it matters? you can't stay in a cheesy chalet for a few days to enjoy the fresh, creamy dry pow of summit county?

Jan 10, 09 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I think there are still a few Out Houses which someone might be willing to rent you....long as your not to cheezie...yourself.

Jan 10, 09 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

Cheesy ski chalet type things are great for fucking. Minimalistings are great for masturbation. What's your situation?

Jan 11, 09 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I just got back from a weekend trip to Denver, and while in town I made a side trip up into the mountains and ended up driving through Breckenridge... Lots of ski chalet type places, but I wouldn't let that stop me from enjoying the activities up there. The scenery is absolutely stunning.

I've never gone skiing before in my life, but now I find myself interested in taking some lessons so that maybe I can take a longer trip back to Colorado next winter and hit a place like Breckenridge or Winter Park. (Winter Park is owned by the City of Denver, and has a special ski train from the city that operates daily... The stuff you learn on Wikipedia.)

Can anybody recommend beginner ski lessons in or around New York City? I did a quick Google search, and it looks like there's a couple of clubs that provide organized bus trips from NYC to some of the mountains in the Catskills and Adriondacks. I'm curious about what else is out there.

Jan 13, 09 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

Gin

Any ski area/resort should offer beginner and intermediate-level lessons. Some offer expert lessons and workshops. Often (but not always) the bigger the resort, the better the teachers. Personally I'd check out Whiteface, NY and stay away from the Catskills, or anywhere within 4 hours of NYC for that matter. I've never to the Adirondacks but as far as NE mountains go they get some respect. I've been toying with making a trip there since I moved back to the Midwest. Probably you'd do better to get a private lesson rather than join a group one, but you'll probably pay $100/hr for it. Your equipment rental will probably cost between $50-75/day depending on where you go.

Jan 13, 09 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

get outdoors.

Jan 13, 09 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Whiteface / Lake Placid looks interesting... I think one of the NYC ski clubs has a weekend trip planned for that place sometime in March. I may have to look into it.

They're building some sort of huge amusement complex over in the Meadowlands that will have an indoor ski slope. Probably the most convenient option to NYC once complete, but not the same as being on a real mountain.

My only concern is that I have an annoying tenancy to injure myself whenever I try something new like this. See: kayaking lesson, September 2004.

Jan 13, 09 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: